Rose's Reviews > A Quiet Belief In Angels

A Quiet Belief In Angels by R.J. Ellory

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: mystery, serial-killers, book-club
Read from August 26 to September 02, 2010

This book is in a class all by itself. A mixture of horror, drama, romance, mystery; I just can't catergorize it. Ellory deserves to be among the great classic authors, the one who comes to mind is Steinbeck.

The story is told through the eyes of Joseph Vaughan, a Georgia boy who grows up among the shadows of a serial killer who rapes, tortures and then tears apart little girls. Yes, it's disturbing, yes, it's gruesome and dark, but it's told with such beauty that even the most darkest of scenes are elegantly delivered. It's so rich in it's telling that I found myself just lost in it reading lines over and over again.

"The flowers I had brought and set against the headstone were battered into handfuls of waterlogged petals. I stayed there until my clothes were almost too heavy for me to stand, and I thought about my loss and I shed no tears. I believed the sky was crying for me."

Just a nugget of our narrator who allows you in in such a way as to feel his lack of belonging anywhere in the world, his sense of unease and loneliness is so heartbreaking. This is not a story with joy or laughter. It' dark and bleak with a great whodunnit thrown it for suspense. I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! This is a book that will stay with you and haunt you.

Follow Joseph and the hunt that takes over his whole life and fall in love with this extraordinary talent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quiet Belief In Angels.

09/02/2010 page 235
67.0% "Darkly brilliant. Richly told."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David Ah, I meant to read this a while ago and it got lost in the backlog, thanks for the review, Rose.

So, without giving anything away, is this more along the lines of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' than an actual crime novel?

Rose Dave, pop this book up in your list asap! :) It's not like anything I've read before. It's definitely a crime novel, I wouldn't compare it fo Mockingbird story wise other than both books being well-written. However, this is far superior to me in writing style. This guy could go down as classic. It's just beautiful. This is not a quick read. This should be savored like fine wine. You will be very satisfied, I guarantee it.