Tina's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Dec 04, 13

Read in August, 2010

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

What. the. f***. Words can't begin to express my disappointment. I bought Mockingjay the first day it came out and I was preparing myself for a truly epic novel, one worthy of its predecessors. I loved The Hunger Games; it was fast-paced, thrilling, suspenseful. Catching Fire wasn't as good but it was still enjoyable (I was majorly impressed by the game arena). I wasn't let down by Catching Fire though; I figured it was just a transition novel, build-up to what would undoubtedly be a mindblowing, epic conclusion in Mockingjay.

Maybe I set my expectations too high. I do think Collins is a good writer; she definitely knows how to write and tell a story. But I feel like she lost her way in this book. Or maybe the only thing that made this series so great was the Hunger Games, and now that it's absent, there's nothing to drive the story.

The love triangle wasn't well played out. First of all, I'm getting a bit tired of reading about love triangles -- especially in novels where there's a much greater plot present. But I'll admit, I was on Team Gale throughout the series, because he was strong and resilient and resourceful and caring. There was this attractive manly quality about him and he was so in sync with Katniss, and hot to boot. But towards the end of this novel, I didn't give a flying fart about Katniss's love life and who she ended up with, because everything seemed like such a hopeless, depressing mess that there was no point. I also hated how she kept flip-flopping and toying with both Gale and Peeta (I've been bothered by this since CF). She should make up her mind about who she wants instead of leading them both on! Her fickleness is pretty inconsiderate to these two guys whom she supposedly cares about. And if she can't decide (I can see why, they both have great qualities), then she should give herself some space/time to decide, and in the meantime, don't go kissing or showing romantic affection to either one!

She ended up with Peeta, which would have been fine if it had been executed properly. But even in this aspect of her life, she didn't get to CHOOSE, which is basically the story of her life. She just ended up with Peeta because he was the only one who stuck around. At the end, I found myself wanting her to end up alone, of her OWN choice. Heck, instead of spiraling into bleak depression and continuing life as a puppet, I would have rather seen her die for a noble cause and for doing the right thing. That would have been a more satisfactory ending, and that's saying something because I normally HATE when characters die.

I didn't like that we didn't get to experience the action close-up. As the war unraveled, I felt like Katniss was always on the sidelines, only called in when other people commanded her to. We didn't get to see Katniss kicking butt against her enemies, we got to hear from other characters about events that occurred, or watch them on the TV. It is so mindnumbingly dull to be watching a character watching something, instead of experiencing the action with the character. Everything she did was for show, for a propo or campaign or whatever. It was all so .. fake. Here they are in the middle of a war, people are dying left and right, and all they care about is filming and getting good shots and angles and putting on a pretty face! It felt so staged and it was boring and infuriating to read. The only real action is towards the end when she and her team are going on the assassin mission to kill Snow, and even THAT was originally only for a propo (that went astray).

The last third of the book (the assassin mission) was gorey and bloody, which I didn't mind. It's war after all. But many characters' deaths were so rushed and pointless. Prim's death didn't have the impact that I'm sure Collins was aiming for; I didn't feel sad when she died, as she's barely in the story as it is, so I didn't get to know her well enough and connect with her beforehand. She was absent for at least 100 pages before her death came out of nowhere, for God's sake, so her death felt like any stranger's death. (Although it seems her death kind of defeated the point of sparing her from the Hunger Games.) What DID kill me was Finnick's death. Finnick was one of the characters I loved most in this series, and call me petty, but I can't forgive Collins for killing him off after he'd been through so much and finally got to marry the love of his life. It wasn't even a death of purpose. He got eaten by mutts in a sewer, along with half their assassin team. It annoyed me so much because their deaths felt so UNNECESSARY, like they were just a way for Collins to emphasize that "this is a DEATHLY SERIOUS, VERY BLOODY BOOK!" It felt like she was just randomly and meaninglessly killing off supporting characters because she couldn't bear to part with her main ones. Deaths are fine when they're important to the plot, but this felt like death for the sake of death.

Okay, now on to the REAL disappointment of this book: Katniss herself. One of the reasons why I loved this series was because of Katniss. She was strong, resourceful, clever and cunning, she had an amazing survival instinct and she knew how to persevere. In Catching Fire, these qualities diminished; she was mainly a pawn, a puppet for others to use for their own objectives. But she still had some semblance of control and she was still Katniss. In Mockingjay, all these traits are scrapped and we get a Katniss-clone who is angsty and bitchy and whiny (wasn't Bella in Twilight bad enough?). Half the book, she's throwing herself pity parties in the closet (literally!). Sure, she definitely has reason to be sad and angry, and her life is full of hardships and tragedies. But I thought that the Katniss from the Hunger Games, the Katniss who had to keep her family alive since the age of 12, would be able to fight through and persevere. I guess I wanted a strong victor, a strong heroine, not a self-pitying victim who can't make her own decisions.

That's another thing that bothered me: throughout the whole book, she had no control over ANYTHING, not even her own life and actions. She was a empty, lifeless pawn, a zombie if you will, who didn't do anything that wasn't directed or commanded by other people. In this novel, I was expecting her to STEP UP, embrace her role as Mockingjay, use her power/influence to get involved in the rebellion, take control of her life, and make a difference in the outcome of her world. I was expecting to see her grow and change and I was excited for her metamorphosis. Instead, we get this weak girl who's shirking all responsibilities, addled on drugs half the time, and lashing out at people the other half. Not only did she not improve herself from the first book (she was kickass in the first book btw), she got WORSE, an empty shadow of her former self. At the beginning, I could understand her confusion, her pain, her reluctance to be the Mockingjay. It'd be weird if she DIDN'T feel this way, if she didn't have that time of indecision and unwillingness. But after, I expected her to be strong and work through it, to face her fears and obstacles and choose to do the right thing, to really fight for justice. The best things in life never come easy; anybody who's done anything has had to overcome obstacles to accomplish their goals. When she decided: "I must be the Mockingjay", my heart soared (cheesy but it did!) and I was rooting for her 100%. When I heard her inspirational words during the propos, the fire behind them, my heart soared because I thought Katniss was back. But as I kept reading, I realized .. even though she verbally accepted her role, her mind still wasn't in it and she wasn't in control of herself. She didn't grow and become stronger, that's what pisses me off.

The post-traumatic stress, the mental breakdowns, the self-pity, the self-loathing, the nearing of insanity .. all of these things are realistic, yes, but a bit tiresome and not very interesting to read when it's all the same and the narrator is drowning herself in it in the face of much greater things to the point where it detracts from the plot. These feelings shouldn't be the main focus throughout the ENTIRE novel. There has to be a turning point when she overcomes all of this and actively decides not to let these obstacles stand in her way. Now, many people will say her breakdown is more true to life, and it's what any normal 17-year-old girl would feel and go through. But, maybe I'm weird here, but for some stories, I don't WANT to read about the average, normal teenager. I want to read about someone who's a bit special, who's different, who displays traits (like courage, heart, perseverance) greater than the norm and accomplishes more than the "normal, average teen" even during the most difficult of times. Something that, when you close the book, makes you feel like "Wow, they're amazing. Inspirational. I want to be like that." & to be honest, I didn't sign up to read a war documentary or some nonfiction account of how war affects its victims. I came in expecting a break from reality, a fantasy sci-fi young adult novel about a girl who becomes a hero.

In trying to be as realistic as possible, I think Collins chose a pessimistic extreme of "realism" to portray. There are perfectly human people in real life in real circumstances who are able to fight through obstacles and hardships and come out on top without relying on drugs and hiding in closets. They can find more constructive and positive ways to deal with their problems. Sure, it obviously affects them (they're not invincible) but they don't lose themselves the way Katniss does. Those are the kinds of inspirational stories I wanna read when it comes to these kinds of novels, not this "Diary of an Emo Puppet."

This book was also REALLY anti-climactic. Whenever Collins finally gave us an exciting scene, as soon as it got intense, Katniss would get knocked out in the midst of things and we'd wake up to her in the hospital being treated. (MAJOR COP-OUT, in my opinion.) Then, of course, comes the inevitable centuries (that's what it felt like) of us hearing about her in pain and agony. Okay, we get it after reading about it the WHOLE novel! Now can she please pick herself up and make herself useful?

Katniss doesn't deserve the title "girl who was on fire" and to be the main character in such an epic setting and story. Sure, she can be on fire, but only when someone sets her on fire or directs her to be on fire, not of her own doing. She was soulless and indifferent and cared about herself and her own feelings more than anyone else's (seeing as how she spends most of the novel grieving for herself and almost never for anyone else) .. if the main character, the narrator, doesn't care about anything and has no passion, why should we? What's the point when the main character whose eyes we're seeing through has no heart and no passion? And what happened to the selfless girl who willingly sacrificed her life to save her sister?

The things I did like. I liked that Katniss had 2 seconds of mental clarity and shot Coin instead of Snow (the only time in the book when she was truly thinking clearly and acting of her own accord). I wonder if I'm giving her too much credit though; judging from her selfish one-track mind in this book, I fear that she did this only because Coin killed Prim, not because she saw the bigger picture. Worse yet, I fear this may just have been a result of Snow's manipulation, not her own decision. I also feel the significance and bravery of this smart moment was rendered meaningless by her immediate cowardly reaction: instead of having conviction in her action and facing the consequences, she scrambled frantically to find the most painless and quickest way to kill herself. She never once in the book acknowledges all she has to live for and all the positive things she still has in her life. When a character's will to survive is absent through a whole novel, I as a reader have no desire for them to live either; grant their wish already! But to continue on .. I liked learning about more of the characters in depth: Gale (who I grew to love even more in this book), Finnick, Annie, Boggs, Johanna, etc. I liked the ending passages (fitting and beautifully haunting) and I liked the songs (The Hanging Tree and the meadow one). There are probably some other things that I'll update this review with once disappointment and frustration are no longer clouding my brain.

I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been a page-turner that was exciting to read, but trying to finish this book felt like a chore. When reading for enjoyment starts feeling like a chore, that's the ultimate sign that I dislike the book. 90% of the book, Katniss was wandering aimlessly through hallways, drugged out on morphling, hiding in a closet, or lying in a hospital bed. I kept waiting, I was so sure it would happen any minute, for the story-changing moment when Katniss would pick herself up and say "Enough is enough." I kept waiting for the moment when the winds would change and she would decide with conviction to actively work through her problems -- but to my shock, that moment never came. This book seriously dragged and dragged and dragged, and just got slower and slower until everyone started dropping dead towards the last quarter of the book. The Hunger Games, I couldn't put it down; for this, I dreaded picking it up to finish it. I did tons of things in between reading this book (doing my nails, watching TV, taking a walk, etc) because I couldn't read it in one sitting without wanting to gouge my eyes out. It was the same reoccurring theme: Katniss was manipulated and controlled by everyone around her and she didn't think or do anything of her own will. It got old.

I read all this build-up and didn't get rewarded for it. And even though the rebels triumphed, I didn't feel anything for them, not relief, not happiness, just nothing. I was just detached. And none of it was thanks to Katniss: her only role in the Capitol's defeat was watching Prim die, getting burned, and waking up in a hospital, where we're TOLD instead of SHOWN how the Capitol fell (all while she was unconscious, an occurrence that's way too common in this book).
Again, anti-climactic! During the scene when it really mattered!

I understand the message Collins is trying to convey and I agree with it: that war is awful and no one truly wins. And good and bad are not clearly defined black and white. (It got too preachy at certain points though, didn't it?) And I understand that not all books are unicorns-and-ponies happy endings, and that this series has always been intense and dark and a bit bleak. But that only works when there's an underlying message of hope and of optimism. I felt it in the 1st books, but this ending was devoid of all hope and happiness. Yes, humans are disgusting creatures who hurt and kill one another, who do horrible things because of greed and selfishness and just pure malice. But humans are also capable of love and compassion and kindness, and I wish she'd incorporated a bit of that into the story as well so there'd be a more hopeful ending. Even in real life, no matter how bad things may be, there is always hope. Isn't that the kind of message you really want young people to be left with? Instead of pessimistic doom and "give up on mankind"? I finished the book feeling hopeless and lost and depressed, and not in that deep, profound way where it motivates me to get up off my ass and do something to make a difference.

Gosh, at least Harry was his own person and got to face Voldemort in the end. What did Katniss get to do except be an empty canvas for them to paint and feed lines to?

Though I guess since I'm feeling so passionately about all of this, it wasn't a worthless read. It was just very, VERY disappointing.

Edit:

I just re-read this review a month or so after I wrote it and I sincerely apologize for my sloppy writing and overindulgence in run-on sentences! I was in a rush to unleash all my feelings after finishing the book so I wouldn't forget anything. I hope this review was understandable and enjoyable anyway :)

That's the end of the review and you can stop here but I wanted to add on .. and I'm thinking those who grew up with Harry Potter like I did can relate:
So I decided to re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to prepare myself for the upcoming movie, and to get the bitter taste of Mockingjay out of my mouth, and here's a passage towards the end where Harry's character really touched me and left me in awe:

"Because," said Harry, "sometimes you've got to think about more than your own safety! Sometimes you've got to think about the greater good! This is war!"
"You're seventeen, boy!"
"I'm of age, and I'm going to keep fighting even if you've given up!"
a few sentences later .. "I'm going to keep going until I succeed -- or I die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years."

Reading it again makes me all emotional and teary all over again, from Dobby's heartfelt burial to Harry's courageous walk to his death in the forest, knowing fully well what awaits him and yet willing to sacrifice himself for others and for a better world ...all the while, struggling with his fears and the temptation to run away .. and I swear, tears of pride and joy sprang from my eyes and exhilaration shot through my veins when Harry, the boy we grew up with, stepped up as a man and faced his enemy with confidence, strength, wisdom.
Whatever faults the last HP book may have, I just have to say: Thank you, Harry, for giving me hope again and proving there are still admirable heroes in young literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

message 301: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem Patricia wrote: "exactly! - and the realities of war are not fun, they don't make us feel good and they are disappointing and I believe that's the theme of this series"

I totally agree I think that was her point in the book. Not everything has to come out good for everyone when their war.

message 302: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem ϟHinaϟ wrote: "Reem wrote: "I don't think it was a disappointment. But that's just my opinion. Because Katniss is a teenager! It's a lot more realistic than people thinking she'll save the world in the end. She i..."

I understand what your saying. After I read the book I was like well that was I don't know maybe pathetic! But I looked back on it and understood. Yes the whole world wanted Katniss to be the great heroine in the end but it just wasn't going to work. All the YA books have the main character as the hero and the winner in the end. It was a good change she just went into shock yes in the other books she didn't but the her whole country country counted on her! She knew she can't live up to the expectation everyone is thinking she is. She was thrown into this job of hers to save everyone, she doesn't know what to do when going against these powerful people. She brang peace to her future children and grandchildren and that's all she wanted to do. Especially after her sister died that's when she really went down hill. That's because this all started out by saving her sister from the games and volunteering her self. To end up that her sister died is probably something huge to bring her down. And ya I guess if she did cut down on the realism a bit everyone would've been happier but it's just a unique story with a unique ending.

message 303: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Reem wrote: "ϟHinaϟ wrote: "Reem wrote: "I don't think it was a disappointment. But that's just my opinion. Because Katniss is a teenager! It's a lot more realistic than people thinking she'll save the world in..."

Then what kind of a leader is Katniss? She was their leader and like you said everyone counted on her. Don't you think that after everything she's been through she would've stepped up and done something about it? I really didn't want to read about a war documentary, this book is young adult science fiction. It's got mutant animals and insects which is anything but realistic. In reality a teenager isn't a leader of a rebellion.

She wasn't necessarily thrown at this job. She could've chosen not to go into the Games instead of her sister, in the beginning it was her choice and she got involved and everyone else was proud and wanted to see her go further. She actually didn't give peace to future children because she was too busy hiding in cupboards, it was like reading the point of view of mentally unstable drug addict. She wasn't a warrior in the rebellion, she was a weapon, a tool, a pawn. Other times she was completely useless all-together. Where did the potential leader go?

Also Prim's death was unnecessary, it was as if Suzanne Collins just wanted to kill off a few characters. And that happened during the battle so if she had done something useful then maybe her sister wouldn't have died.

Yes, it was uniquely horrible. I felt so ripped off and cheated by the end of it and I think we readers deserved so much better.

Patricia Exactly, the death of children in war is unnecessary. Regular citizens are weapons, pawns and tools, and the result of every war is that we are all left feeling ripped off and cheated. Collins got it right - she made you feel exactly like you should. The only problem is that you are not connecting it with the point of the book. War sucks - it doesn't feel good and there are no heroes.

message 305: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Patricia wrote: "Exactly, the death of children in war is unnecessary. Regular citizens are weapons, pawns and tools, and the result of every war is that we are all left feeling ripped off and cheated. Collins got ..."

No. I'm saying that Prim's death was unnecessary and I wasn't feeling cheated because of the death of the children or the war I was feeling ripped off because of how rubbish the ending was. No proper battles, it was rushed, Katniss ended up with Peeta because he was the one who came back for her.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying in the previous post.

message 306: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem Patricia wrote: "Exactly, the death of children in war is unnecessary. Regular citizens are weapons, pawns and tools, and the result of every war is that we are all left feeling ripped off and cheated. Collins got ..."

I agree with you completely people really need to grasp the idea of this story. And Katniss chose to get into the games because how can you live knowing that you let your little sister die in the games? She had no choice. She couldn't see her little sister in the games so she took her place. Did you read the end of the book or did you just stop in the middle because in the end they did achieve peace for the future children. She never really wanted to be the leader people just gave her that position. In the games she was a symbol of their true country nothing more. But when the civil war started she was given that position.

message 307: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Reem wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Exactly, the death of children in war is unnecessary. Regular citizens are weapons, pawns and tools, and the result of every war is that we are all left feeling ripped off and chea..."

But she did have a choice! Even if it was her sister it was still her choice. You're just contradicting what you're saying.

Katniss wasn't the person who gave peace to future people. What did she do in Mockingjay to help except faint every five seconds? It was all the other people who actually put their brains together, people like Haymitch and others. She was just the image in Mockingjay.

If she didn't want to be the leader why did she go through all that in Hunger Games and Catching Fire? People died just for her! Mags died for her! Finnick died for her! So many people died so she could just get on her own two feet and do something about it! They trusted her. She shouldn't have got involved if she didn't want to be leader.

Okay, that's my point proven. She was just an image nothing more. She didn't deserve the title of The Girl On Fire.

message 308: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem She didn't deserve it in the third book but in the first two she did. She had a choice to not go and watch her sister die in the arena knowing that she could've done something about it? Ok she had a choice but she didn't see the civil war happening in the future!

message 309: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Reem wrote: "She didn't deserve it in the third book but in the first two she did. She had a choice to not go and watch her sister die in the arena knowing that she could've done something about it? Ok she had ..."

Actually she did have another choice when deciding on eating the nightlock at the end with Peeta. Katniss knew that her outcome would predict a civil war and it happened. She knew!

message 310: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem No at that time she knew that Peeta and her were going to get in trouble and probably killed if they eat it because if they eat it, it just proves that the government has no control over that. She knew their was going to be an uproar but once again she didn't believe that she was going to be the leader.

message 311: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina But she still knew that a war would most likely happen and her roles as a leader were confirmed to her in Catching Fire.

message 312: by Reem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reem How was she confirmed the leader in Catching Fire if she didn't even know the escape plan and didn't know what was happening what's so ever in the end of the book?

message 313: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Sorry I ment Mockingjay, but she did kinda know at the end of Catching Fire and with everyone dying for her.

message 314: by Celena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Celena For the longest time through the series i thought Peeta would end up dieing.. But Prim dies... i was just crushed. But i must admit i was on Team Peeta the whole time..Gale and Katniss were good together at the beggining but later on in the series they just could not agree on anything, and at the end of mockingjay Gale leaves Katniss to go to a fancy job. Where Peeta who has nothing left but his love, Katniss. I absolutely loved this ending and thought it was perfect.

message 315: by Laura (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura Oh Amen, you took the words out of my mouth. This book made me really dislike Katniss. What a selfish, self-indulgent, coward. Makes me wonder if this is what Suzanne Collins was actually going for.

Viktoria i was thinking exactly the same things you wrote in your review. i did just finish it and i don't feel anything and i'm not sad that the trilogy is over. which is not a good sign for this series...

Natalie You literally wrote all my feelings!When finnick died...I literally cried.but when prim died all I said was "Well dang thats sad" but I didnt shed a single tear.Id also like to add something.WHAT THE EFF went wrong with Gale.They were best friends...and loved each other and then all of a sudden they dont even talk.I was so upset to hear he had a job but didnt even bother to go visit Katniss when she was all depressed.after all those years of hunting...it all just went down to flames.i thought theyre 'friendship' was super strong.UGH im just so mad.i honestly just finished it 10 minutes ago & I want to just rant on and on about all the bad things about mockingjay...but im glad alot of people feel the same way I do.I hope the movies can make up for how badly Mockingjay ended.

message 318: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Anne I agree with your review. I didn't hate the book, but really expected a better (not necessarily happy) ending to the trilogy. I thought it was a pretty weak ending considering how strong The Hunger Games was.

message 319: by Nadine (new)

Nadine What a great review. You expressed it perfectly for me. Disappointing!

message 320: by Emma (last edited Sep 19, 2011 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Hina(moony,wormtail,padfoot and prongs) wrote: "But she still knew that a war would most likely happen and her roles as a leader were confirmed to her in Catching Fire."

However would she know that? She didn't want to die, she didn't want Peeta to die. That was the solution she saw. She even tried to prevent a war from happening, and she most certainly didn't want to be part of it, which becomes quite obvious in the beginning of Catching Fire when she talks about running away. Gale convinces her, and she eventually decides to fight for everything she holds dear. Went she entered the Games again, she had no idea that the others were there to protect her. And she was never leader. Not at all. She was a symbol of hope, of the rebels. But she wasn't leader. She doesn't take any important decisions- that's all the higher ranked folks. So no. Katniss was never leader, neither did she intentionally start a war, or even want one.

EDIT: It seems that the overall opinion on the people posting here, is that the ending was too depressing. In that case, I'd suggest reading books that aren't about war, and doesn't start out with a girl taking her little sister's place in what she believes to be certain death.

message 321: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Emma Ice Awesome wrote: "Hina(moony,wormtail,padfoot and prongs) wrote: "But she still knew that a war would most likely happen and her roles as a leader were confirmed to her in Catching Fire."

However would she know tha..."

Er, I don't really know what you're trying to explain to me since this debate happened quite a while ago and I've forgotten what's going on. This is in response to the bits I understand.

She didn't do anything to prevent the war from happening, it was kinda her fault that the war happened in the first place, but yes I know she stood up for what she believed in and whatever, but she didn't do anything to prevent it.

In Catching Fire, she would've run away with Gale if her family could come with her. Okay, yes, she didn't know about the plan. Like you said that she was a symbol of hope. If a person was your symbol of hope you wouldn't like the sound of her hiding in cupboards. She didn't deserve that.

It also isn't about how depressing Mockingjay is, it's about how brilliantly the first book is and how horrible the last one is.

message 322: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma On the contrary, there was very little she could have done. The rebellion would've happened with or without her "permission". She was just a symbol, thus not having any real power to make decision- if she'd run away they'd still have started a war. And she hid in cupboards after watching her little sister- for whom she faced almost certain death - burn up. I don't know if you have siblings, but as the oldest of six I can somewhat understand why she would feel the need to hide herself away from the world, away from happiness and people who wanted to congratulate her on the victory of the very same war that killed her babysis- can't feel like much of a victory, really.

Also, the last note was for people in general; skimming the pages you'd see that a lot of people complain that it was too depressing.

message 323: by Hina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hina Emma Ice Awesome wrote: "On the contrary, there was very little she could have done. The rebellion would've happened with or without her "permission". She was just a symbol, thus not having any real power to make decision-..."

District 13 wanted her to do something about it, and she is supposed to be our protagonist, someone who is very important in the series and she was the key to it all. The rebellion begun because of her and it was only right if it ended because of Katniss. It would have failed if they didn't have the key. The whole point of it was the star-crossed lovers and if something happened else happened, like running away it would have started a war, but the Capitol would've won, they were very powerful.

No, she hid in cupboards and fainted several times well before her sister died.

Okay, right.

message 324: by Travis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Travis I pretty strongly agree with most things that you said. I'd say you hit it spot on. The Hunger Games was the best, followed by catching fire, which was okay at first but redeemed itself with the games. But this one however, I thought was such a let down. I agree that what most likely made these books so exciting was the Hunger Games. It felt like something was missing without..

message 325: by BZimm (new) - rated it 1 star

BZimm I couldn't agree more! I'm about halfway through Mockingjay & am reading these reviews to find out what happens so I can stop wasting my time reading the book.

message 326: by Nels (new) - rated it 1 star

Nels Paulson YEah between the cliche remarks coming up and the feeling of absolute confusion by the author of what to write it flat out goes from atrocious to bad to absolutely god awful. My solution to you is stop now, forward strait to the final chapter/epilog and close the book. Admit now that all you really care about is how Katniss goes on and be fine with it.

message 327: by Vicky (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vicky I couldnt agree with your review more. The book was an incredible let down. I didnt expect Katniss to become so weak and wishy washy. I loved her character in the other books. I was glad she ended up with Peeta though but it was so abrupt and then ended. I still want to know how Gale's life is going. The book felt rather rushed in parts.

message 328: by Nels (new) - rated it 1 star

Nels Paulson The thing I realized is the reason I picked up the book was to see what Katnis does to deal with Peeta getting kidnapped along with many other issues. In truth she deals with Nothing. It is all one big avoidance of problems.

message 329: by Donna (last edited Sep 28, 2011 04:04PM) (new) - added it

Donna I loved the Hungar Games....Catching fire lost me half way through, did not live up to first book at all. What a dissapointment...I still bought Mokingjay because I hate not finishing a book let alone a series. Well..I am a quarter way through it, struggling to even pick it up. I can't believe this is a book even connected to Hungar Games....I can't even finish this book, I am tired of wasting my time thinking its going to get better. Collins should of quit after first book. Done!

message 330: by Sheila (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheila I just finished and you covered my thoughts exactly. Disappointing. Also dis b/c she said yes to continuing the Hunger Games with the Capitol. Uh, why?

Stephanie I felt the same way (but not as firey as your comments!) First book was by far the best, then 2nd was pretty good, and then the third was just depressing and, yes, a little bit too much teenage angsty.

message 332: by Nels (new) - rated it 1 star

Nels Paulson In Hunger Games Katnis decides to play the game to save her sister. during it she figures out how to manipulate the game against the capital to get what she wanted.

In Catching Fire, Katnis takes on playing a political game with the capital aka Snow. Here she finds herself not knowing the moves to get what she wants and so is confused but fighting. She volunteers for this at the beginning of the book.

In Mockingjay, Kanis should figure out the game, but doesn't. Should decide what is important to her and fight to protect it, but doesn't.

When you read a book and you find yourself not liking the only character you are following it ruins the book. Saying Katnis is a child is delusional, the point she decides to take her sister's place in book one she is an adult.

A few added problems.

One- Coin never made it all the way to bad guy for me. With how bad Katnis was, coin made a few decent points relating to her, and overall Coin was trying to keep her people together and win a war that she didn't start.

Two- Anyone else feel it was rushed. no tension . It was like oh we need an action scene, then ok now back to the loathing, then we need you to feel she is in danger so lets kill a bunch of people around her. Each piece dealt only with itself. Nothing leading up to anything else. It all felt so disjointed, Like chapters were written at different times in different order and not really written to be together. And while that can work, here it clearly didn't. It was muddled.

If you want a character who gets ripped apart built back up, then ripped apart again, and while it doesn't have a happy ending it has something that means something, but done well and understands what is going on try ENDER'S GAME. It is only 1000 times the book.

message 333: by Bev (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bev Totally agree with what you are saying here, Nels.

message 334: by Wendy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy i completely agree with all you said. i felt the same way while reading this book......bleh

message 335: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I agree with your review and you've articulated all the feelings I couldn't put into words when I finally finished Mockingjay. I rememeber I had just finished the book and I was in the house all by myself then as soon as my parents walked in I just burst into tears. I was so FRUSTRATED and the book was extremely dissappointing what with Katniss's eternal pity party (You can only feel sorry for yourself for so long, and I never approve of drugs as a coping mechanism, it's so pointless), Prim and Finnick dying, and Katniss SETTLING for Peeta. I STILL feel this way more than a year later. I just hope when making the third movie the director is allowed to excercise some creative liscense like with Neil Gaiman's Stardust (LOVED the movie, HATED the book, which is usually backward for me).

Warmashes I sincerely agree with your review, for the most part. I would have to say that the love triangle was what had disappointed me the most- even from the beginning of this series, in fact. Katniss had everything going for her that I liked- strong will, determination to protect the ones she loved, and a skill to back up that determination. However, the minute Collins introduced the love triangle in the second book, I got frustrated. To me, it was pretty obvious that the "winning guy" would be Peeta, and throwing in a love triangle seemed so UNNECESSARY to the plot and to her character. In fact, the love triangle made me grow to strongly dislike Katniss' character in the end- she kept playing around with both Gale and Peeta's emotions and not really feeling that bad over it, and I must admit I got a sick sense of satisfaction at brainwashed!Peeta calling her out on this. *sighs* Anyways, thank you very much for your lengthy review- it basically said everything I wanted to say.

message 337: by Trc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trc i agree with everything and some stuff i never even thought about until you said it

message 338: by Trc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trc But i still have to admit that this was the best series i had ever read

Rebecca Completely agree! I've just finished it (late, I know) but I'm just left feeling sadd and dissappointed.

message 340: by Trc (last edited Oct 19, 2011 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trc i know right!!!!!

Its really a dissiappointment i didn't know what to think and there's still alot of unanswered questions i have

message 341: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I am a Peeta supporter.Words cannot begin to express how truly disappointed I was with this novel. Collins had such potential with this last book. I felt like it was very sloppy(not so much in the actual writing then with the PLOT of the book). The ending was terrible. I didn't even really like Gale and even I hated the way she just briefly mentions him moving to district 2 and Katniss not really caring. I feel like she just picked Peeta at the end because he was there and not because she actually loved him more than Gale. Katniss wasn't even really forced to pick anyone as she was more just handed Peeta. Was anyone else really hating Katniss by the end of the series? In the end she really just didn't deserve either of them.

Prim's death was just pointless and I think Collins killed her off to do it more than from actual strategic thinking on how to do it in the best/ most powerful way.

All in all I was left feeling depressed and angry with Collins. I hope she knows she has way more capability -like we saw in the first hunger games book- then this rushed piece of work.

Rebecca Kate, I completely agree. I was Peeta all the way & I was waiting for her to final realise that she loved him. At the end it was kind of like they got together for convienience & I wasn't impressed or convinced by the tiny dealeration of love by katniss

message 343: by Bev (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bev This is exactly what I thought. Why didn't she realize how lucky she was to have Peeta? It seemed like she was just settling.

message 344: by Navi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Navi Finnick's death killed me, too. It's like, WHY? It didn't serve any purpose. She mentioned him once afterwards, so it obviously didn't affect her too much. And Prim's death also came out of nowhere. "THIS IS SRS GUIZ!"

I really do wish that the love triangle was better played out, too.

Rebecca Navi wrote: "Finnick's death killed me, too. It's like, WHY? It didn't serve any purpose. She mentioned him once afterwards, so it obviously didn't affect her too much. And Prim's death also came out of nowhere..."

I completely agree. There was literally no need to kill off Finnick and Prim. I think the author wanted Prim's death to be really moving but I was more sad at Finnick's death because he was leaving behind his insane girlfriend.
And the love triangle was so bad. One minute Gale is in love with her and then he goes off to district 2 and neither of them care. I can't even express how disappointed I was with this book.

message 346: by CJA (new) - rated it 3 stars

CJA Hein from a writer's pov i understood why Collins did everything she did. i just didn't like it!

message 347: by Linette (new) - rated it 1 star

Linette I totally agree with every single thing you said

Citra Oh my goodness! Everything I am going to say, you said it perfectly! You are 100% right on this one! I am too disappointed with this book, I thought I was the only one!

message 349: by Halah (new) - rated it 1 star

Halah thank you thank you thank you thank you . FINALLY SOMEBODY UNDERSTAND . you wrote everything -in a very good , imo - that i felt through\after reading this book .

i am still not over Finnick ... :(

Rebecca Halah wrote: " i am still not over Finnick ....."

I know, that was the most heartbreaking part lol