Tina's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Dec 04, 13

Read in August, 2010

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

What. the. f***. Words can't begin to express my disappointment. I bought Mockingjay the first day it came out and I was preparing myself for a truly epic novel, one worthy of its predecessors. I loved The Hunger Games; it was fast-paced, thrilling, suspenseful. Catching Fire wasn't as good but it was still enjoyable (I was majorly impressed by the game arena). I wasn't let down by Catching Fire though; I figured it was just a transition novel, build-up to what would undoubtedly be a mindblowing, epic conclusion in Mockingjay.

Maybe I set my expectations too high. I do think Collins is a good writer; she definitely knows how to write and tell a story. But I feel like she lost her way in this book. Or maybe the only thing that made this series so great was the Hunger Games, and now that it's absent, there's nothing to drive the story.

The love triangle wasn't well played out. First of all, I'm getting a bit tired of reading about love triangles -- especially in novels where there's a much greater plot present. But I'll admit, I was on Team Gale throughout the series, because he was strong and resilient and resourceful and caring. There was this attractive manly quality about him and he was so in sync with Katniss, and hot to boot. But towards the end of this novel, I didn't give a flying fart about Katniss's love life and who she ended up with, because everything seemed like such a hopeless, depressing mess that there was no point. I also hated how she kept flip-flopping and toying with both Gale and Peeta (I've been bothered by this since CF). She should make up her mind about who she wants instead of leading them both on! Her fickleness is pretty inconsiderate to these two guys whom she supposedly cares about. And if she can't decide (I can see why, they both have great qualities), then she should give herself some space/time to decide, and in the meantime, don't go kissing or showing romantic affection to either one!

She ended up with Peeta, which would have been fine if it had been executed properly. But even in this aspect of her life, she didn't get to CHOOSE, which is basically the story of her life. She just ended up with Peeta because he was the only one who stuck around. At the end, I found myself wanting her to end up alone, of her OWN choice. Heck, instead of spiraling into bleak depression and continuing life as a puppet, I would have rather seen her die for a noble cause and for doing the right thing. That would have been a more satisfactory ending, and that's saying something because I normally HATE when characters die.

I didn't like that we didn't get to experience the action close-up. As the war unraveled, I felt like Katniss was always on the sidelines, only called in when other people commanded her to. We didn't get to see Katniss kicking butt against her enemies, we got to hear from other characters about events that occurred, or watch them on the TV. It is so mindnumbingly dull to be watching a character watching something, instead of experiencing the action with the character. Everything she did was for show, for a propo or campaign or whatever. It was all so .. fake. Here they are in the middle of a war, people are dying left and right, and all they care about is filming and getting good shots and angles and putting on a pretty face! It felt so staged and it was boring and infuriating to read. The only real action is towards the end when she and her team are going on the assassin mission to kill Snow, and even THAT was originally only for a propo (that went astray).

The last third of the book (the assassin mission) was gorey and bloody, which I didn't mind. It's war after all. But many characters' deaths were so rushed and pointless. Prim's death didn't have the impact that I'm sure Collins was aiming for; I didn't feel sad when she died, as she's barely in the story as it is, so I didn't get to know her well enough and connect with her beforehand. She was absent for at least 100 pages before her death came out of nowhere, for God's sake, so her death felt like any stranger's death. (Although it seems her death kind of defeated the point of sparing her from the Hunger Games.) What DID kill me was Finnick's death. Finnick was one of the characters I loved most in this series, and call me petty, but I can't forgive Collins for killing him off after he'd been through so much and finally got to marry the love of his life. It wasn't even a death of purpose. He got eaten by mutts in a sewer, along with half their assassin team. It annoyed me so much because their deaths felt so UNNECESSARY, like they were just a way for Collins to emphasize that "this is a DEATHLY SERIOUS, VERY BLOODY BOOK!" It felt like she was just randomly and meaninglessly killing off supporting characters because she couldn't bear to part with her main ones. Deaths are fine when they're important to the plot, but this felt like death for the sake of death.

Okay, now on to the REAL disappointment of this book: Katniss herself. One of the reasons why I loved this series was because of Katniss. She was strong, resourceful, clever and cunning, she had an amazing survival instinct and she knew how to persevere. In Catching Fire, these qualities diminished; she was mainly a pawn, a puppet for others to use for their own objectives. But she still had some semblance of control and she was still Katniss. In Mockingjay, all these traits are scrapped and we get a Katniss-clone who is angsty and bitchy and whiny (wasn't Bella in Twilight bad enough?). Half the book, she's throwing herself pity parties in the closet (literally!). Sure, she definitely has reason to be sad and angry, and her life is full of hardships and tragedies. But I thought that the Katniss from the Hunger Games, the Katniss who had to keep her family alive since the age of 12, would be able to fight through and persevere. I guess I wanted a strong victor, a strong heroine, not a self-pitying victim who can't make her own decisions.

That's another thing that bothered me: throughout the whole book, she had no control over ANYTHING, not even her own life and actions. She was a empty, lifeless pawn, a zombie if you will, who didn't do anything that wasn't directed or commanded by other people. In this novel, I was expecting her to STEP UP, embrace her role as Mockingjay, use her power/influence to get involved in the rebellion, take control of her life, and make a difference in the outcome of her world. I was expecting to see her grow and change and I was excited for her metamorphosis. Instead, we get this weak girl who's shirking all responsibilities, addled on drugs half the time, and lashing out at people the other half. Not only did she not improve herself from the first book (she was kickass in the first book btw), she got WORSE, an empty shadow of her former self. At the beginning, I could understand her confusion, her pain, her reluctance to be the Mockingjay. It'd be weird if she DIDN'T feel this way, if she didn't have that time of indecision and unwillingness. But after, I expected her to be strong and work through it, to face her fears and obstacles and choose to do the right thing, to really fight for justice. The best things in life never come easy; anybody who's done anything has had to overcome obstacles to accomplish their goals. When she decided: "I must be the Mockingjay", my heart soared (cheesy but it did!) and I was rooting for her 100%. When I heard her inspirational words during the propos, the fire behind them, my heart soared because I thought Katniss was back. But as I kept reading, I realized .. even though she verbally accepted her role, her mind still wasn't in it and she wasn't in control of herself. She didn't grow and become stronger, that's what pisses me off.

The post-traumatic stress, the mental breakdowns, the self-pity, the self-loathing, the nearing of insanity .. all of these things are realistic, yes, but a bit tiresome and not very interesting to read when it's all the same and the narrator is drowning herself in it in the face of much greater things to the point where it detracts from the plot. These feelings shouldn't be the main focus throughout the ENTIRE novel. There has to be a turning point when she overcomes all of this and actively decides not to let these obstacles stand in her way. Now, many people will say her breakdown is more true to life, and it's what any normal 17-year-old girl would feel and go through. But, maybe I'm weird here, but for some stories, I don't WANT to read about the average, normal teenager. I want to read about someone who's a bit special, who's different, who displays traits (like courage, heart, perseverance) greater than the norm and accomplishes more than the "normal, average teen" even during the most difficult of times. Something that, when you close the book, makes you feel like "Wow, they're amazing. Inspirational. I want to be like that." & to be honest, I didn't sign up to read a war documentary or some nonfiction account of how war affects its victims. I came in expecting a break from reality, a fantasy sci-fi young adult novel about a girl who becomes a hero.

In trying to be as realistic as possible, I think Collins chose a pessimistic extreme of "realism" to portray. There are perfectly human people in real life in real circumstances who are able to fight through obstacles and hardships and come out on top without relying on drugs and hiding in closets. They can find more constructive and positive ways to deal with their problems. Sure, it obviously affects them (they're not invincible) but they don't lose themselves the way Katniss does. Those are the kinds of inspirational stories I wanna read when it comes to these kinds of novels, not this "Diary of an Emo Puppet."

This book was also REALLY anti-climactic. Whenever Collins finally gave us an exciting scene, as soon as it got intense, Katniss would get knocked out in the midst of things and we'd wake up to her in the hospital being treated. (MAJOR COP-OUT, in my opinion.) Then, of course, comes the inevitable centuries (that's what it felt like) of us hearing about her in pain and agony. Okay, we get it after reading about it the WHOLE novel! Now can she please pick herself up and make herself useful?

Katniss doesn't deserve the title "girl who was on fire" and to be the main character in such an epic setting and story. Sure, she can be on fire, but only when someone sets her on fire or directs her to be on fire, not of her own doing. She was soulless and indifferent and cared about herself and her own feelings more than anyone else's (seeing as how she spends most of the novel grieving for herself and almost never for anyone else) .. if the main character, the narrator, doesn't care about anything and has no passion, why should we? What's the point when the main character whose eyes we're seeing through has no heart and no passion? And what happened to the selfless girl who willingly sacrificed her life to save her sister?

The things I did like. I liked that Katniss had 2 seconds of mental clarity and shot Coin instead of Snow (the only time in the book when she was truly thinking clearly and acting of her own accord). I wonder if I'm giving her too much credit though; judging from her selfish one-track mind in this book, I fear that she did this only because Coin killed Prim, not because she saw the bigger picture. Worse yet, I fear this may just have been a result of Snow's manipulation, not her own decision. I also feel the significance and bravery of this smart moment was rendered meaningless by her immediate cowardly reaction: instead of having conviction in her action and facing the consequences, she scrambled frantically to find the most painless and quickest way to kill herself. She never once in the book acknowledges all she has to live for and all the positive things she still has in her life. When a character's will to survive is absent through a whole novel, I as a reader have no desire for them to live either; grant their wish already! But to continue on .. I liked learning about more of the characters in depth: Gale (who I grew to love even more in this book), Finnick, Annie, Boggs, Johanna, etc. I liked the ending passages (fitting and beautifully haunting) and I liked the songs (The Hanging Tree and the meadow one). There are probably some other things that I'll update this review with once disappointment and frustration are no longer clouding my brain.

I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been a page-turner that was exciting to read, but trying to finish this book felt like a chore. When reading for enjoyment starts feeling like a chore, that's the ultimate sign that I dislike the book. 90% of the book, Katniss was wandering aimlessly through hallways, drugged out on morphling, hiding in a closet, or lying in a hospital bed. I kept waiting, I was so sure it would happen any minute, for the story-changing moment when Katniss would pick herself up and say "Enough is enough." I kept waiting for the moment when the winds would change and she would decide with conviction to actively work through her problems -- but to my shock, that moment never came. This book seriously dragged and dragged and dragged, and just got slower and slower until everyone started dropping dead towards the last quarter of the book. The Hunger Games, I couldn't put it down; for this, I dreaded picking it up to finish it. I did tons of things in between reading this book (doing my nails, watching TV, taking a walk, etc) because I couldn't read it in one sitting without wanting to gouge my eyes out. It was the same reoccurring theme: Katniss was manipulated and controlled by everyone around her and she didn't think or do anything of her own will. It got old.

I read all this build-up and didn't get rewarded for it. And even though the rebels triumphed, I didn't feel anything for them, not relief, not happiness, just nothing. I was just detached. And none of it was thanks to Katniss: her only role in the Capitol's defeat was watching Prim die, getting burned, and waking up in a hospital, where we're TOLD instead of SHOWN how the Capitol fell (all while she was unconscious, an occurrence that's way too common in this book).
Again, anti-climactic! During the scene when it really mattered!

I understand the message Collins is trying to convey and I agree with it: that war is awful and no one truly wins. And good and bad are not clearly defined black and white. (It got too preachy at certain points though, didn't it?) And I understand that not all books are unicorns-and-ponies happy endings, and that this series has always been intense and dark and a bit bleak. But that only works when there's an underlying message of hope and of optimism. I felt it in the 1st books, but this ending was devoid of all hope and happiness. Yes, humans are disgusting creatures who hurt and kill one another, who do horrible things because of greed and selfishness and just pure malice. But humans are also capable of love and compassion and kindness, and I wish she'd incorporated a bit of that into the story as well so there'd be a more hopeful ending. Even in real life, no matter how bad things may be, there is always hope. Isn't that the kind of message you really want young people to be left with? Instead of pessimistic doom and "give up on mankind"? I finished the book feeling hopeless and lost and depressed, and not in that deep, profound way where it motivates me to get up off my ass and do something to make a difference.

Gosh, at least Harry was his own person and got to face Voldemort in the end. What did Katniss get to do except be an empty canvas for them to paint and feed lines to?

Though I guess since I'm feeling so passionately about all of this, it wasn't a worthless read. It was just very, VERY disappointing.

Edit:

I just re-read this review a month or so after I wrote it and I sincerely apologize for my sloppy writing and overindulgence in run-on sentences! I was in a rush to unleash all my feelings after finishing the book so I wouldn't forget anything. I hope this review was understandable and enjoyable anyway :)

That's the end of the review and you can stop here but I wanted to add on .. and I'm thinking those who grew up with Harry Potter like I did can relate:
So I decided to re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to prepare myself for the upcoming movie, and to get the bitter taste of Mockingjay out of my mouth, and here's a passage towards the end where Harry's character really touched me and left me in awe:

"Because," said Harry, "sometimes you've got to think about more than your own safety! Sometimes you've got to think about the greater good! This is war!"
"You're seventeen, boy!"
"I'm of age, and I'm going to keep fighting even if you've given up!"
a few sentences later .. "I'm going to keep going until I succeed -- or I die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years."

Reading it again makes me all emotional and teary all over again, from Dobby's heartfelt burial to Harry's courageous walk to his death in the forest, knowing fully well what awaits him and yet willing to sacrifice himself for others and for a better world ...all the while, struggling with his fears and the temptation to run away .. and I swear, tears of pride and joy sprang from my eyes and exhilaration shot through my veins when Harry, the boy we grew up with, stepped up as a man and faced his enemy with confidence, strength, wisdom.
Whatever faults the last HP book may have, I just have to say: Thank you, Harry, for giving me hope again and proving there are still admirable heroes in young literature.
3707 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

message 501: by Emily (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily You summed up my thoughts and emotions on this book perfectly; much, much better than my 50-word or so "review." Agree 100%.

message 502: by Haley (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haley I can't say I read the whole thing, but I read a lot, haha. I agree with a lot of it, the one thing I did disagree with was Katniss ending up with Peeta. I was on Team Gale as well, and thought they should have ended up tpgether, but I think I see why Collins chose for Katniss and Peeta together. I don't remember exactly what the line was, but it was in the end and I think there was a good build up to it as well, where Collins just started pointing out that Gale had this instinct to hunt and kill, yeah it was in the context of war, but Peeta was about life and hope and I think that was what Katniss was about too. Just something to chew on a bit. Other than that, I absolutely agree with your review, it was funny because I read all three books right in a row and I had a really hard time describing how I felt about them and what I didn't like, but you absolutely nailed it. First one was great, second one was a filler, and third one was Katniss whining the whole time and not owning up to being the girl on fire.

message 503: by Elaine (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elaine Wow - you hit the nail on the head. We had the same exact reaction but you wrote it much more eloquently than I ever could!

message 504: by Nick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nick This is a brilliant review and all your criticism are spot on. You have practically covered all of my issues with the book, better than I could have done myself. I would like to add that I think the first person limited point of view was a terrible idea for this book. As you have said, we missed out on so much of the action happening when the narrator was busy crying or cowering in fear, too busy with her childish emotions to realize her important role and DO SOMETHING. Even a first person account that was told from a future point of view (knowing the outcome of events that she wasn't present for) would have been preferable, but I'd really have liked a third person point of view, simply to get out of Katniss's head. But even more preferable would have been for Katniss to stand up and be the character we all wished she would have grown to be. I guess we're all spoiled on Rowling's excellent character building. My thoughts kept going to Harry, wondering how HE (and his friends) would have handled the situation differently. I also expect exceptional characters in a novel, not ordianry people. That's the purpose of reading novels, isn't it? We are reading about people who have done something extrordinary enough to warrant our attention? Katniss did this in The Hunger Games, but not in the following books in the series. She was a poor excuse for a heroine. Like you, I wasn't expecting it to happen all at once. I expected something similar to Harry (and friends) transformation. Sure, there were not as many books in which to create this transformation, but I think the author could have done a MUCH better job of it.

This book felt like it had such great potential. I guess I am unfairly comparing this novel to other great dystopian novels that I have read and also unfairly comparing her to Rowling, but I can't help shake the feeling of disappointment.

message 505: by Amber (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amber Great review. Completely agree.

message 506: by Amanda (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda Great review - I couldn't agree more! Although i was on Peeta's side all throughout the books, Mockingbird completely depressed me with the breakdowns, the inactivity and the endings of so many characters which were completely of no use. i also completely agree with your added comment concerning HP. I expected a great deal after the terrific first book, but I never imagined the story development in that way...

Kristen Spot on!

message 508: by Hannah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Norman Thank you for the review that I struggled to write! This is exactly how I felt. Extremely well put!

Grlpwr00 I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!
Sure she was everything you said at times but what do you expect.
Afterall being a victor seeing all of the KIDS who were in the event getting killed she was TRAMATIZED. Well everybody has an opinion soo.....

message 510: by shireen (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

shireen Hakim great review. I agree with a lot of what you said. I completely agree that I was so sad that Finnick died! I wish he had lived! I think the role and suffering Katniss went through was realistic, how much power could she have against regimes? How much can anyone fight against the Man? Not much. She got away with a lot.
Like you said, in the end it all did break down and she did kind of just let things get handed to her. So it was a strange change of character. And she did start acting like a diva, with everyone always rushing to cater to her. I agree with that point you made.
I also agree that she should have stayed alone. She was young and both relationships with Gale and Peeta were juvenile. The guys were more into it than she was. When she matured she would have found someone else. However of the 2 Peeta is completely the better choice. He is a better person. Gale is too angry and too similar to Katniss.
It was still a really awesome book. But I feel like Mockingjay should be re-written. For now I'll pretend it doesn't exist.

Rachelle You've pretty much summed up everything that I disliked about this book (and the entire series for that matter). I won't say that it didn't have some redeeming qualities, but it was overall a real disappointment compared to the first two books. I don't think I have anything to add to your review! Well said.

message 512: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa You captured my issues with this book. My sister thought I was crazy for not liking it. I still read it and it was ok, but everything you say in your review is what drove me crazy about the last of this trilogy. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it to begin with and was surprised how much I liked Book 1. Book 2 was a bit of a repeat, but like you said I figured it was transitioning to a bigger better ending. Book 3 left me unsatisfied and irritated.

message 513: by Damez (new) - rated it 2 stars

Damez Ellihette Can I just say that this is an EXCELLENT review. It's like you read my mind throughout the WHOLE BOOK! I agreed with you 99% of the time. I did everything I could to avoid reading this book. You are right, it got very old and dull. I expected more from Katniss! It's like she died inside, and that's never a fun thing to read about. I wish she would have something to look forward too, she deserved a happy ending and she didn't get that. Even after the end of the war, she was still a depressed individual. Like you said, zombie. And I hated that. I was angry by the end of this book. I had high expectations for it and I was indeed very excited to read it but it was a despicable ending to such a fascinating series!

message 514: by Damez (new) - rated it 2 stars

Damez Ellihette J

message 515: by Person (new)

Person Chill.your.nips.

message 516: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam your review really captured the way I felt while reading this book. and your comparison with HP- I completely agree!

message 517: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate This is exactly how I am feeling now as I read it the second timea, I don't remember being this disappointed the first time, and I think all the hype made me forget how mediocre this book is, compared to the other two! But now I am downright annoyed!

Jocelyn Meyer I can't even begin to write a review after reading this!! This is EXACTLY how I felt about this book! Just a huge letdown!

message 519: by Nancy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy Suelflow Katniss should have ended up alone.

message 520: by Reisa (new)

Reisa I agree with everything that u said..i was very disappointed at the end..

message 521: by Barb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barb I agree with most of the stuff you said here. I too wish she would have ended up with Gale. And, the story line with Prime just left you wandering why there wasn't a little more time spent on it. I as well loved the first two but this one was disappointing. Wasn't as fast paced and exciting as the other two. The author left Katness looking to whiny and a lost soul in this one. I agree with alot you have said on your review. Great review by the way.

message 522: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy You've basically written the review I wish I just had. Perfectly summarises what I felt about this disappointing last instalment.

message 523: by Tanara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tanara McCauley Excellent review! I felt betrayed by Finnick's death also!

Jianred Now that you mention it, I remember that there was also a time when I stopped reading the book unlike what I did with the last two. But that's beside it. I'm also disappointed with it and everything felt very...rushed.

Also that part where Finnick died. Yes, I died too. I re-read that part so many times to make sure that I didn't miss anything and that he actually got through the manhole and his death is just my imagination. It's like Collins is saying that there's no point in looking for happiness because everyone will just, I dunno, die maybe? It's very depressing after Finnick died because it might be an exaggeration but I find him the ray of sunshine with the whole plot monster that they're in war and everyone is very serious and depressed. And Collins even bothered getting him married. She should've let him stay in an unrequited love so everything will be a lot less hurtful.

And personally, I felt that Prim's death is very anticlimactic. I actually thought that there's some pages missing in the book because Prim cannot just die so quickly and without enough narration. Katniss woke up and she was told (I think) that Prim's dead. That's it. She's the reason why Katniss get entangled in this mess in the first place, so I personally think she deserves more than that.

And I cannot agree more with your disappointment on how easily Gale was put aside. He should've had a better ending. No, actually his ending is okay. But we should have at least be informed a lot more than what we were given. That's just my point. It's frustrating how all we got is how he's got some fancy job in District 2 and how Katniss was thinking that Gale must be kissing a different pair of lips now.

Everything's such a huge shame.

message 525: by Chace (new)

Chace Welling Tina what an excellent review, which basically sums up my feelings about the book. All throughout, I kept telling myself how annoying Katniss got (reminded me of the stupidity that Bella did throughout the series). And I also must say, I never felt annoyed with Harry for the things that he did. With Katniss though, she was sad and depressed the entire book. Any normal person would feel that way, but I really thought that Katniss was supposed to be a role model, to show what a strong woman is supposed to be not what an average woman is like. Instead she turned out to be whinny and annoying (aka Bella).

I also agree about Gale, I was on his side since the beginning of the series and not once did I think that Peeta was the right one. Don't get me wrong, I loved Peeta's compassion and kindness and I thought he was a great character and a good friend for Katniss (after all, they were in the Hunger Games together [twice]). But Gale was a strong rock in her life. He protected her and her family as if they are their own. She admitted it herself in CF that anything other than Gale is unthinkable. She couldn't detach him from what happened to Prim because it may have been her bomb? In that case, how can she detach Peeta from the rebellion (and all the deaths that followed) if it is because of him that she thought of the berries? I just think that Gale got unfair treatment. He sacrificed his life to rescue Peeta, risked not making it underground so that he can grab Katniss's memorabilia in 13 and stood by her side no matter how hard it was for him and that's what he gets?

Actually, while reading the book, I thought that Gale would be killed off and Katniss would be too guilty to end up with Peeta because she would be thinking about Gale. As much as I wouldn't have wanted to see Gale die, I think it would have reminded Katniss of how precious he really was to her. I also thought that she would be the leader of the post-rebellion Panem, after all, she knew what it was like to experience hardship because of the Capitol and she should be able to contribute in planning a new society. Instead, she was too sad and depressed and never really got to explain why she killed Coin. The whole ending was just so off. She needed to stand up and say that Coin used everyone so she can rise to power and she should have embraced the role as leader (with help from Plutarch, Haymitch and the others). Maybe Cinna should have been found alive to help motivate her as well.

I also agree about Finnick, he never got a fair ending either. He suffered enough and should have been allowed to have more happiness. OR if he would die, let him die a noble death and not just be thrown into the death pool along with the others.

I understand why it happened but I was sad when Prim died, not because of my attachment to the character but more because of the pain that Katniss would experience. I'm sure Collins wanted to demonstrate the irony of Katniss's volunteering to take her place in the HG.

Overall, I just must say that I wasn't very satisfied with the book. Katniss wasn't given fair treatment by Collins because she didn't live up to our expectations as a strong woman.

Ps: did she really vote in favor of a final Hunger Games FOR Prim? Sounds pretty good to me, why not end the reign of the Capitol by making more innocent children die for the sins of the predecessors. Sounds legit to me...

message 526: by Marika (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marika This is exactly how I felt while reading this book, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

message 527: by Angie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie Tina,

I really appreciate this review because it exemplifies so much of how I felt when I finished this book. I felt that the more Collins was trying to portray Gale in a negative war-seeking light, the more I loved and respected him. I truly felt that his neglect at the end of the book from Katniss and Collins was unjustified. He was the only character throughout the ENTIRE series that was strong and dedicated to his convictions. Although Collins might be trying to create an analogy for war, she must know that soldiers will forever be a necessary force for protection and security. I would much rather be supported by a man who is capable of fighting for what he believes in than a sad, love-sick puppy - a boy who is incapable of separating infatuation from what is truly important, fighting for what is right. And even worse is Katniss' empty shell of a person at the end, not a character I identified with at all.

message 528: by [deleted user] (new)

You nailed this review! I had the exact same feelings about the anticlimactic ending. My main dislikes: 1.) why kill Prim in the very end when the basis of starting the series was to preserve her sister's life? 2.) Dang! Can Katniss just snap the heck out of it for one freaking second?...when she was suppose to be so strong it was torture to read about her becoming this shell (and just a side note, really truly disgusting how she sat in the same chair for months on end to the point where huge flakes of skin came off with her clothing, blah!) 3.) Her inability to make any kind of decision especially when it came to Gale and Peeta (I was always team Peeta though because he loved her from the get-go, Gale only liked her after someone else hit on her, but I agree Gale was like Katniss' male version). 4.) I totally agree that Finnick should have lived; a pointless death, but I speculate that authors often do this at the end of a series so no one else can write a spin-off on some of the other characters. 5.)Last but not least, can someone please tell me why page after page, chapter after chapter was wasted on describing Katniss' major depression and drug abuse and approximately 2 pages were spent poorly summarizing how Peeta and Katniss finally rekindled and had babies? I felt like I had been robbed of the story that made me start the series in the first place. I didn’t read these books to get ripped-off in the very end. The ending of her and Peeta’s return to 12 was way too rushed!

message 529: by Raji (new)

Raji To be fair, MJ could have been a victim of lofty expectations

Carleymcadam Couldn't have put it better myself!!!!

message 531: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Coleman great review, tina. i think that was the longest review and conversation thread i've ever read!

message 532: by Anah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anah Walford I completely agree with everything you said about mockingjay..I was extremely disappointed with it from finish to end. Fennick was my favourite character too :D i found my self giggling at some of his comments or things he did in the book..and i was absolutely gutted when he was killed off..

message 533: by Gosia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gosia I agree with you on all accounts! The part about love triangles was something I've been thinking about while reading this book. Does it ALWAYS have to be a love triangle these days? As if 2 people in a relationship aren't complicated enough. As if.
And oh dear, Gale. He's actually my favourite character in the whole series and he was treated awfully in this book. It's not even that he doesn't end up with Katniss (again, I agree with you - who cared at this point, it was all so hopelessly depressing) but suddenly he only deserved a 1-sentence-long update from the minor character?! That's IT?! Plus I felt as if Collins really wanted Katniss to end up with Peeta but at some point she realized she made Gale way too appealing so she decided to make him a (possible) children murderer. VERY unfair.
And once again, yes, so many things seemed rushed and anti-climatic. We rarely went through major things with the main character. And Katniss was only a shadow of herself from the 1st book. I was so excited about her, I thought we finally get a strong, courageous female character...but nope, let's make her drugged, unconcious and incapable of making ANY decision most of the time.
Major UGH.

message 534: by Gosia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gosia PS In more general terms: yes, I agree with the point that everyone loses in a war. Yes, people break. Yes, Katniss lost so much. But give us something, some tiny bit of hope! Don't leave us with the thoughts of "oh this is pointless. let's just all give up on life." which, I swear, went through my head near the end.
I actually wrote my thesis about one of the recent genocides. Genocides. Literally the worst thing that can happen on this planet. And you know what? I encountared so many stories of people who (understandably) broke even though they were physically alive. But there are always, even in the darkest of times, people who trully survive. Who never lose hope. Who, despite all the horrors, choose dignity and humanity and life. Who never give up.
I guess I just wish Mockingjay was a story of someone like that. But sadly, it wasn't.

message 535: by Hannah (new) - rated it 1 star

Hannah Thankyou for putting into words why I didn't like this book

message 536: by Emily (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Goldblum you nailed hit on the head on all the frustrations I'm going through right now after just finishing Mocking Jay. I kept waiting and waiting for Mathias to finally come around. For her to be with Gale. For her to come out of this war as the girl who was on Fire.. not the girl who nearly died for the fifth time in the novel by being engulfed in flames.
I've been arguing that I came into this novel with the idea of a resolution. Instead Katniss ends up with a life she never wanted. She was my favorite protagonist/hero up until she truly wanted to end her own life. I spent most of the book coaxing her to just get up.. continue striving what she really wants : to be out of the games.
I also Strongly agree that Prim dying cancels out her very reason of volunteering to be in the Games in the first place and at that point where I realize Prim is really dead I'm beyond exasperated.

Thank you for your review you saved me a ton of time on venting.

message 537: by Jamie (new)

Jamie EXCELLENT review, my thoughts exactly, you touched on every single thing that bothered me. Good work! Couldn't have said it all better myself :)

message 538: by Holly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Holly what the hell? i thought this was a review on mockingjay, not harry potter. and, while i agree with most of what you said, there was no need to make each point six times. it was like reading mockingjay all over again

basementpeople Throughout this review I felt you were reading my mind, everything you said was so accurate!

Danielle Murray The ending was SO depressing; she doesn't even make the decision to have children for herself, and the whole epilogue is detached with 'the boy' and 'the girl.' The only slightly endeering moment is when the boy's chubby toddler legs are mentioned. Okay, so maybe the ending is more realistic, but there is no hope or satisfaction with humanity; after such an intense following the conclusion should have been epic, and yet just left me feeling hollow :(

message 541: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Holly wrote: "what the hell? i thought this was a review on mockingjay, not harry potter. and, while i agree with most of what you said, there was no need to make each point six times. it was like reading mockin..."

Yeah it's a pretty long review but I personally overlooked that because she was 100% right on every point, and didn't leave anything out. :) I thought the comparison to HP was a good one to illustrate the difference between a successful hero/heroine and an unsuccessful one. It's the difference between good character development and bad.

Abigail You literally said everything I felt was wrong about this book. I was so mad about finnick and prim because their deaths added NOTHING TO THE STORY LINE!!!! Seriously the whole point was to keep prim alive!! Collins botched this book irrecovibly and I don't really want to read any books written by her because she'll just let her characters watch while people die for them and that is cowardice.

message 543: by Holly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Holly Jaime,
I do agree with what she said, i just wish she hadn't taken a bajillion pages to say it

TheBookBug i hated this book. I got the message but what happened to all the characters that we fell in love with in book one? Sooooo disappointing...

message 545: by Josie (new) - rated it 2 stars

Josie Jones I have just finish the book, your review sums up the rage I am feeling at this moment. That is all, I am too disappointed to say anything else.

message 546: by Belle (new) - rated it 1 star

Belle You are totally right it was the worst of the series and a huge disappointment.

melanie paige hansen Haven't read it yet but don't want to

message 548: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali This review covers everything I feel about MockingJay and the series as a whole. I just finished the third book today and I feel so empty about it- I was not left with the kind of fullness I get after truly enjoying a great read. You are spot on with your comparison of Harry and Katniss- and although both these books have war and death, Harry has something Katniss doesn't- HOPE. I'm a little sad that Hunger Games is meant for young adults, because I think I might have wanted to take some nightlock if I had read this at the impressionable age of 16.

Kimberment Nothing can compare after reading Harry Potter :) You can tell J.K knew her story and characters a lot better, and spent a lot more time on every tiny aspect of the story. Collins ofter just seemed like she was writing for writings sake.
2 things I think would've helped:
1. If the story was written in 3rd person. All the best books are. This way other characters can become more developed, giving us more empathy with them.
2. Subplots and foreshadowing. The story needed more to it... this would've broken up Katniss' painful introspection. I was so hoping all that talk about Buttercup would've amounted to something. At least Scabbers did.

message 550: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary I finally finished this book after a month of trudging through it. Amazing review -you captured all of my thoughts and opinions so accurately. The narrative disappointed me in so many ways, from the anticlimactic scenes to the "I should be dead" whining of Katniss to the love triangle that became nothing more than a boring annoyance. I too felt detached from the characters and from the story as a whole. The deaths felt random and senseless, and the ending felt rushed and horribly contrived. Harry Potter is true literature.