Jade Cress's Reviews > The Johnstown Flood

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough

Sep 01, 10

Read from August 26 to September 01, 2010

so I am now a David McCullough fan. If my school history classes and history books had been as well-written and vivid as this, maybe I would have actually taken the AP US History test in high school.

The Johnstown Flood describes the events leading up to and following that fateful Memorial day weekend in 1889 when Johnstown, PA and several communities around it were wiped out in one afternoon by a raging wall of water caused by the breaking of a flawed dam. McCullough brings life to this event as he describes several different individuals' experiences.

I don't remember ever hearing about this horrible flood in any history class. I learned about it when we just happened to see the visitor's center for the site where the dam once stood. We were on a road trip through PA and just happened to show up at the Johnstown Flood National Historic Site on a rainy day on May 31...kinda spooky. Over 2000 people lost their lives. This was one of the worst disasters in the history of the United States and it could have been prevented (or maybe just not as bad). This is one of those historical lessons that needs to be learned by everyone. Mr. Cook, history is more than just watching filmstrips and doing worksheets. Mrs. Eury, history is more than just doing vocabulary words (no wonder I hated history in high school). History makes much more sense when you can relate to the people, when you can understand who they were, not just names in a book that you have to memorize. McCullough does this with this book, and I am sure I will remember many of the vivid details he gave for a good long time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Johnstown Flood.

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat David McCullough is a great historian! I have read most of his books and The Johnstown Flood was in my top two! You will like 1776!