Wayne Wilson's Reviews > The Overton Window

The Overton Window by Glenn Beck

Aug 26, 2010

Read in August, 2010

A very scary book. The writing wasn't great but not bad for Mr. Beck's first foray into the world of fiction. I listened to the book and the narration was great. I really enjoyed hearing from Glen in the beginning and again after the completion of the book. I am a Glen Beck fan, so take my review with that in mind.

Some of my favorite parts were when Beck quotes the founding fathers through his protagonists. It was great for me to hear our founders words in many cases for the first time. I was inspired by these words and I came to a realization that I have not been the best citizen of the USA. I have let my own feelings of frustration and maybe fear of being ostracized by my liberal friends keep me mostly silent as our country has moved further and further from the ideals of our Founders.

I am resolved to no longer sit silent when I hear my friends and relatives promote their progressive ideas. I must be willing to sacrifice popularity and friendship for freedom.

I liked the fact Beck doesn't blame the democrats for all the problems nor are the bad guys given some party designation. In fact Beck goes after Bush's policies with more venom than Obama's policies. The bad guys are all the politicians who have sold their souls for power and reelection. One stunning statistic quoted in the book is that congress has a 15% approval rating, yet a 90% of congress are reelected. This points directly to us the voters who think some other state's senator is doing a terrible job but ours is really serving us well by getting us all that federal money. It is this short sighted thinking by the electorate that has given us politicians who have no honor.

In the end I have come to the conclusion that it is mine and each of us that have lost our honor. We no longer take the long view of what is best for the future we are selling our souls for the quick fix. We are not willing to sacrifice our own comforts to help insure the comforts of our children and generations to come.

Loved the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overton Window.