Austen's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Austen by: my wife, the librarian at Bon Lin Middle School
Recommended for: young readers, anyone who likes post-apocalyptic fare
Read from August 25 to 26, 2010, read count: 1

I really have to change my genre sometime. These end-of-the-world books are something that I really have to read on a nice sunny day instead of right before bed.

Stark. Felt like I was reading the teenage version of the movie "Testament". Pfeffer's right-off-the-bat use of the moon getting knocked out of its orbit and the subsequent chaos that follows was complimented very well with the gradual slide into confusion and desperation and ever-present hunger was well paired. The ending was a nice surprise, but I won't spoil it here. The chapter dedicated to the run on food at the supermarket was a little too eerily similar to the scene shot at Rusty's supermarket in Lawrence, KS for the 1983 movie "The Day After" - chaos, panic and fear all wrapped up nicely, but leaving you with a "what the bleep is going to happen after this" feeling.

The lack of news (personal or media) available as things get worse, the loss of friends and their families to either abandonment of the town (or otherwise), the degredation of the environment and the extreme weather, all lend itself to a very bleak picture and one that kept me turning pages. Very easy read. Very well done. God forbid it ever happens, but it does really make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

08/26/2010 page 250