Carla's Reviews > The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs by Alexander McCall Smith

Jan 07, 08

Read in January, 2008

I read these three little books together, having been intrigued by the title of one, "The Villa of Reduced Circumstances", which I read first. It contained two short stories, the second of which gave the book its title. I read these out of chronological order. I then read "Portugese Irregular Verbs", which had several shorter stories, a format I preferred, and lastly, "The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs".

These are light, easy-reading stories; "stream of consciousness" musings. The writing is excellent, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is refreshing to read proper grammar in fiction, even if it requires a self-absorbed German professor of Romance Philology as the protagonist to carry it off.

I have not read any other books by this author, but I may now. Can anyone recommend a good one?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Carla, if you liked these, try the "The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series - these books have made the rounds with my whole family and everyone found them charming. (I have most of them, if you would like to give them a try.) Precious Ramotswe, a "traditionally built" African woman with iron morals has gotten out of a bad marriage and then lost her beloved father. She opens the only ladies' detective agency in Botswana after reading a how-to book - a wonderful story!