MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Sixty Stories

Sixty Stories by Donald Barthelme

Aug 29, 10

bookshelves: short-stories, merkins, art-or-illustrated, worshipped, penguin-classics
Read from August 26 to 29, 2010

Barthelme is the short story writer for me. I loved these mad, witty, clever but not clever-clever, surreal and speculative stories. Barthelme has a style and range utterly unique to him and uses a fragmented, avant-garde approach to tell his cryptic and weirdly moving stories.

I can't pick a favourite from these. They were dazzling, one and all. Hooray for discovering new writers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Stories.

08/26/2010 page 18

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Barthelme is the BEST! Have you come across his version of Bluebeard? I think that might be in Forty Stories. And the wackiest of all: The Glass Mountain. I can't remember which book either of those is in, but I think those two rank highest for me.

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls I haven't read Bluebeard yet. I'll definitely check out the other collection. Does he just do short stories? No novels?

Glass Mountain was great. Loved "The Emerald" muchly also.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth He's done one novel at least --- a take-off on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs which people variously think is brilliant (me) and sick (friends). It's novella length and he got tired of working with the same material for a long period of time. I read (heard?) somewhere that he is one of a handful of writers the New Yorker had an open contract with --- that is they would buy anything he wrote.

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls I'll check that one out. He is the sort of writer I could become obsessed with.