Lucie Wheeler's Reviews > Trade Winds

Trade Winds by Christina Courtenay

4206106
Feb 04, 11

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book - even after having to stop mid way for a few days.

The book tells the story of Jessamijn (Jess)van Sandt and Killian Kinross, both in their individual lives, and then their lives as they intertwine together.

The book starts with us learning of Killain's gambling lifestyle and his ongoing deal with 'lady luck'. We then meet Jess, who we learn to be a young woman who thinks she is being lied to by her stepfather and believes that he is trying to take her inheritance left to her by her deceased father. But she cannot prove it.

When Killian and Jess meet, they have the unlikely bond of just that. Killian himself has been disinherited by his grandfather, Lord Rosyth. Initially, Jess finds Killian irritating and she takes a dislike to him. But then they form an unexpected friendship when Jess offers marriage as a way for her to recover her inheritance. But with Killian being offered a trip to China to learn the trade of import/export onboard a ship, he is desperate to get away and make a life for himself. And not even his new wife will be enough to stop him.

But what happens next in the story, changes the lives of not only Killian, but Jess too.

A really well written story with characters that truly come to life. And what I love about this book is that the characters really do take a journey. Both Killian and Jess begin the book as one person, and by the end, have made a turn around to completely new people; but not so much so that we do not recognise them. Killian begins as an immature, bachelor boy who cares nothing for anyone but himself and by the end of the story he has matured into a loving man who cares for others. And Jess begins as a young girl who is afraid to stand up for herself and ends the story a grown up woman who fights for what she wants - and generally gets it!

There is plenty of action in the story and the ending few chapters caught me by surprise which I liked. And it ended with a nice, wholesome, satisfying ending.

A good read and a definite recommendation to others who have enjoyed previous Choclit novels.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trade Winds.