Emir Never's Reviews > Kafka on the Shore

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Sep 11, 10

Read from August 25 to September 11, 2010

My first novel by Haruki Murakami.

A surreal coming-of-age sort of story, one that showcases the author's outlandish imagination and mastery. I couldn't help but wonder while reading Kafka how Murakami would drag the story along, and how he would put together the whole tale in the end. I'll say Murakami never came close to dragging, instead his story strikes like a whip, fast and lashing with intelligence and exhibitionist's pride. Yes, I couldn't help thinking that Murakami was showing off as if he's saying "Look, I can do anything with my story and you'll fall for it."-- he's right, and I flipped through the pages compulsively, wondering where the magic would take me, admiring the author's dexterity with words.

I won't give this five stars though. With all the elements that Murakami put together here, I feel that the story could have gone differently, which is not a complaint, but I probably was looking for a stellar finish that would make my suspension of disbelief utter and complete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kafka on the Shore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ranee hope you like it Emir!

Emir Never I'm liking it so far, salamat ng madami! :D

K.D. Absolutely I agree with your review. Nice one!

Ranee I love the way you described Murakami. Hope you have a good relationship with him. He gives this certain air that wants you to have more like a challenge to dream the rest of the story instead of feeding it to you. and at the same time, he shows you that he is a master storyteller because you will believe him no matter how surreal the story becomes, he makes it come out natural.
i'll be more than happy to lend you more Murakami. :)

Emir Never Thanks K.D. and Doc Ranee for the likes! Double thanks to Doc for sharing this book, and many other Murakami books (forward-looking, hehe), to me. :D