Julie Laporte's Reviews > The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

Aug 25, 10

Read in August, 2010

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! There's basically nothing I didn't like about this book. The pace was perfect. The characters were incredible. The setting was awesome. The book, although a fiction story about a romance of Miss Alcott's, was completely believable, and I took the bait hook, line, and sinker! Mrs. McNees (the bees' knees, I might add) learned L.M. Alcott inside and out through her research, and I feel I know her now myself.

Little Women is not only a favorite book of mine--it's like a religion to me. It meant volumes (pardon the pun) to see some of the inspiration for the characters in this literary treasure.

Be warned--if it affects you the way it did me, the book will take you on an emotional roller coaster, and you'll be speed-reading and glancing ahead a paragraph or two in parts! Yet there's also the quiet simplicity of the era and the quaintness of the courting process that soothe.

The beautiful Alcott quotes that introduce each chapter have also compelled me to read her other writings as well! And I now must read Whitman's Leaves of Grass...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott.