Richard's Reviews > I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff

I Before E (Except After C) by Judy Parkinson

Jan 24, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, maths, psychology
Recommended for: people who value knowledge, if only for its own sake
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Remember the days before we all sat in front of computers with nice fast internet connections and a short cut to Google?

In those days you had to remember stuff. You had to be able to recite it, and use it at the drop of a hat.

Of course, all thats gone now. You can look up anything in seconds. But isn't it nice to know that you don't need a net connection sometimes?

This book gathers together memory aids from various fields and stitches them together in some sort of order. There is everything from spelling to skeletons, Kings to continents.

I expect that most people (of my age anyway) will remember some mnemonic that was drilled in to them, and will look to see if it is here. I certainly did, and found 'OIL RIG' (oxidation is loss, reduction is gain, its a chemistry thing) ROY G. BIV (the colours in the light spectrum) etc.

I was especially pleased to find the one for tightening/loosening screws (righty-tighty, lefty loosey).

The one I would like to have found is the one my chemistry teacher used to teach the reactivity series of common metals: Kind Natives Can Magic A Zebra... Feeble Pygmies Conjure Angry Apes (Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Lead, Copper, Silver Gold). I must have learnt that more than 25 years ago, and I still remember it with ease...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Before E (Except After C).