Erin's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

F 50x66
Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: animals
Read from August 25 to September 02, 2010

I would actually give this between 3-4 stars. I am amazed by people who are willing to put the time and energy (and money) into search and rescue for no paycheck. I admire them greatly and unfortunately know I would never have it in me to do that type of work. I enjoyed her stories about how she came to do dog search and many of the stories, but I felt like she didn't finish a lot of the stories... I kept waiting to find out whether someone had been found or what happened but never did find out. Maybe that was intentional? To make us see that the dogs have a role to play but it's not always "go find them, yah, you found them" sometimes it's more of a process of making sure the people aren't in certain places. I still would have liked more details about how cases ended up, more info on the other dogs, probably because I loved what she had written about them-----and although they weren't as central to the story, loved her pom's personalities. I work in dog rescue so have my own little chunk of heartbreaking stories on a weekly basis, but this is above and beyond and I am very grateful there are people like she and her group out there making a difference when tragedy strikes. I hope she will write another book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.