Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: dear-diary-what-book, babble-added
Read from August 24 to 25, 2010

I have this trick, where I adjust my glasses with thumb and middle finger while stealthily using the forefinger to flick away eyewater. But I wasn't crying on page 100 (just after the h_____ is b_____ and Katniss speaks), my tear ducts are just really well-developed.

Suzanne Collins is excellent at pacing,* avoiding the trap of overusing the cliffhanger or slowing down too much and losing attention. She has a graceful hand when using humor to ease tension - I especially liked the parts when one character's mental deterioration led into whipping off a hospital gown and when there was puking during a retreat. The humor is gone after about the first third and the rest of it is grim, brutal.

I was rethinking that word, brutal. Since joining this site, I've been exposed to books that I'd never known existed or just heard about, really brutal ones that reviewers have described. ...I think the term is still accurate. In comparison to those, this was not the same kind, not stylized to illustrate some important understanding of humankind (I guess, I'm lost with grown-up literature).

There are so many things to talk about! That are beyond me! I can't wait until others (prodprod) start composing their thoughts.

This series seems to have become more about the experience of reading it than the actual book itself, which is a shame since the story itself is pretty good and has moments of rending greatness.

Let's put that aside as I talk about my experience of reading it.

I'd meant to play it cool, wait for a library copy to be available or maybe get the paperback in a year or so. But I live next to a big box bookstore so I thought I'd just take a peek. I plunked down in their little coffee shop with a copy (interupted by a little boy making vroom noises with a balloon and eavesdropping on what sounded like a future lawsuit developing between a woman and her contractor)...and when they closed 2 hours later I wandered over to my car (okay, walked fast, almost ran) and went to another bookstore that I knew would be open for another hour. I bought one. I tried to read at traffic signals on the drive home and of course, this time, all the lights were green. Grr. I woke up in the early a.m., having fallen asleep reading (and now, I know I'm old, when I can't keep myself awake with reading and will anymore). I read while making breakfast, eating, washing up, walking to the car, and once more while driving.

Devoured in a day - whatever happened to leisurely reading? I can remember patiently pausing for sleep and school, each time slowly rebuilding the wor(l)ds in my mind. All this impatience and rush, because of our weaning on television? Too much refined sugar? Can hardly make complete sentences anymore.

Obviously, I was swept up in the Mockingjay excitement in my own delayed and sedate way, but as I hobble about and sip my fiber shakes I wonder at my continued enjoyment of things intended for the young folks and my slight defensiveness about it. I have this persistent nagging feeling that I should be developing a taste for mature literature and resources, putting aside the YA, pop-ups, fantasy, old favorites...Hobbes is just a stuffed tiger, not a best friend. It's a weak thought but rigid, like the flimsy plastic of cheap bottled water. Lately, it's been crumpling under the force of the all-ages goodreading horde culling through the paper forest, squee-ing over this and loving that. Good. There were so many heavy themes and scenes presented in this YA book, finely and approachably - those who refuse to see that are missing out.

*a thought I apparently stole from karen 9 months ago...huh, like it gestated and popped out screaming and kicking after reading Mockingjay

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

karen i reads it too quickly, too. i feel all empty inside.

Eh?Eh! I know, all that excitement and then what? When we're kids, we bounce back from that right away. If we were adults, we'd never have been this excited in the first place (I think you were a little more excited than me? I'm late to the game). There's this limbo of kid and grup (the Star Trek kind), best and worst of both.

message 3: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal This "lost with grown-up literature" stuff isn't fooling anybody, Eh!

Eh?Eh! It's true, lost and wandering in the woods. This YA book also left me a little gnawed by bears. Ah doan geddit.

message 5: by Buck (new)

Buck I used to get all bent out of shape about adults reading kids' books. The phrase 'cultural infantilization' probably came up. But you know what? I read my share of quote-unquote highbrow books and have they made me more grown-up? A better man? More worldy, even? The evidence is slim.

On the other hand, I've been floored by how intelligenly some of the people around here can talk about quote-unquote middlebrow books that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, whatever that is.

So to hell with snobbish prescriptions (including mine) and read whatever you want, without guilt.

Eh?Eh! Right on.

Instead of guilt I felt sheepish and behind on the maturity. Like the last time I ordered a Happy Meal in nostalgic remembrance of how excited I used to get about them, and it was embarrassing. Erm, in college.

I'm constantly floored, too, and in the process of tossing my barge pole.

karen i still talk to stuffed animals, what?

message 8: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal karen wrote: "i still talk to stuffed animals, what?"

Greg?

Greg Esteban wrote: "karen wrote: "i still talk to stuffed animals, what?"

Greg?"

I'm sure she does. But I'm not a stuffed animal.

message 10: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Ah, well. You just remind me of my Fuzzy Lumpkins.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ack! I have to stop reading reviews for Mockingjay right now. Not because this doesn't rule, because it does, but because others might spoil it and then I'll freak out.

message 12: by Reese (last edited Aug 27, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

Reese You make excellent use of your personal experiences (actual or imagined) to entertain an audience and to create interest in the book that you're reviewing.

Has reading YA literature harmed you or anyone else? I'm guessing that the answer is "no." So what's with the embarrassment?

Eh?Eh! I have this ideal of what I should like and dislike based on my age. It's pretty silly.

Ack, gotta go. Will come back to this.

message 14: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal AHHHH!!! An engineer! Run!!!!!

You're so cute, Eh!/? I bet you organize your cheeses and color-coordinate the the fuzz from your dryer's lint trap (according to the day of the week, of course).

We curmudgeonly types just kick things until they work. Lucky for me, such behavior is cross-disciplinary.

Philip I've just been cutting onions. I'm making a lasagna. (For one.)

Mariel I put this book on my itsrainingimchoppingonions shelf. It wasn't just me!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate wrote: "Ceridwen wrote: "I don't really understand how this is anything but spam, Kate. Why don't you write your own review and put the link in there?"

i prefer to make a video rather than writing the re..."

Sure, I have no problem with your reviewing style. That is fine by me. I don't get how posting links on other reviews by people unknown to you is not some kind of spam. Did you read Eh!'s review? Are you interested in continuing the commentary here? I don't get that impression. I get the impression you are just pushing clicks to your own review, which is spam.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm calling it spam bacause it is unsolicited posting of self-publicising material. It shouldn't be opt-out, but opt-in.

karen this is amaaaaazing.

everyone gets their own space on here to write their own reviews in whatever format they want, yeah? you get one and eh gets one and i get one. the thread is more like a conversation about the person's review. no matter where it goes, it is "their" space, yeah? it is a commentary or a conversation about the review. it is discourteous to plug your shit on someone else's thread. this is not a rule, it is common sense and decency. slap your link in your review space, have your own conversation about it on your thread with whomever chooses to participate, but this kind of self-promoting-without contributing to the conversation is going to be viewed as unwelcome and your oddly aggressive reaction to it even more so.

message 21: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg uh no!! Here comes another BOSS!!!!

karen pfff i'm the voice of reason, motherfucker...

Eh?Eh! I was going to just ignore this, but okay, if you want to talk this out...I'm on this site because I track my books and I stay to play because the people are great. It certainly doesn't have to be related to the book, and I don't think anyone said that here (the commentary veered away from the book early on, and I love when that happens).

My opinion is that your blog link belongs on your own review page/thread, mainly because you didn't bother to talk to anyone. We all noticed you because of your flurry of non-engaging posts. I got 4 emails because I'd posted on those other people's threads that you also hit. Maybe if you added a prefacing statement? Or read our little contributions to the internet and related your video to them? Otherwise, I have to agree with the others that it seems abrupt. I don't think we're saying you should leave, but try some sweet talk and see if we'd actually be interested in your blog first....

Erm, but since you didn't, let me volunteer that I'd prefer to READ something you wrote. Gr is geared towards written communication. If I wanted to listen to video, I'd seek that out.

message 25: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal I got a pic of my junk over on twitter, if anyone's interested. (I'd post the link here, but I'm busy taking a video of my junk for youtube.)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Aaaaaand, all comments by Kate deleted.

Eh?Eh! I guess she chose to leave rather than try sweet talk. :o(

Eh?Eh! Or Esteban's threat of showing his junk made her leave. Dude, pack it away. No one wants to see that. Again.

message 29: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Man, why do the chicks run off every time I get ready to take my junk out? Bummer. I need to update the moves.

Philip Geez... I marked this comment as unread in my email inbox so I could come back and read the link later. I'm just now getting around to it and it's gone... Another instance of procrastination biting me in the ass.

Eh?Eh! If you look around you'll probably find it. She posted her link on a bunch of different reviews. It goes to her youtube blog where she talks out her reviews instead of posting a typed one.

Philip pretty sure i won't be doing that. i'm also pretty sure i would have clicked on the link, become annoyed in the first 20 seconds and then exed out of it. (but not annoyed enough to do anything about it... more tired than annoyed actually.)

Eh?Eh! Yeah, I think Ceridwen hit it on the nose with the whole click count thing. But since most would react like you and me and stay quiet, she could continue with her barrage. So...thanks to those who speak up! It's like a history lesson, eh?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

im stuck at school

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

and i really have a relationship with tacos

Eh?Eh! I'm guessing Alfonso or Esteban.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Not enough !!!!! To be Alfonso.

Eh?Eh! True...Esteban, then? In poor imitation?

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2012 12:16PM) (new)

Hmm. I'm thinking Esteban would have the sense of craft to get a good avatar photo, and I know he can do a better Alfonso impression.

Probably a random...not troll...drive by comment?

Eh?Eh! Also true. GUAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!1

All her comments have been in the same strange vein, all on Mockingjay threads. She could really be a bored school kid. Hah, there was this class of children who had discovered that goodreads was one of the only social networking sites that wasn't blocked by their school computers and were dinking around...maybe that's what's happening here.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

GUAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!1!!@