Morgan F's Reviews > The Demon's Covenant

The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, series, 2010, fantasy, goodreads-author, read-2010, preston-public-library, love-triangle, good-sized, pretty-covers
Read from September 26 to October 03, 2010

The Demon's Covenant, the second book in a trilogy, takes place a few weeks after the events that occurred in The Demon's Lexicon. It follows Mae, only a secondary character in the first one, who now has to deal with the fact that her brother, Jamie, has magical powers and is being recruited from magicians everywhere, including the deadly Obsidian circle, now run by Gerald. Mae once again enlists the help of of brothers Nick and Alan, who are entangled in their fair share of dangerous magical dealings themselves. If you had not read the first one yet, I suggest not reading the rest of the review, as it is impossible to discuss this one without mentioning some major plot twists of the first book.

It took me forever to get into this book. It took me five days just to get through the first half (which is incredibly slow for me). But just around the halfway point, I sat down to read it for more than five minutes at a time and actually got sucked in. I'm not a big fan of the writing, I think that's it. It's in a limited 3rd person POV, which is a little strange. I'm spoiled with first person. I also don't like Mae too much.

Come to think of it, I like hardly any of the characters. Nick is an ass (albeit a hot one), Jamie's out-of-place flamboyancies can get annoying, and Mae is just frustrating. I like Alan though. He's sexy in a smart, nerdy, one-step-ahead-of-you way. But I'm glad the book isn't in his perspective or else I wouldn't get the joy of his deceptions and motives being revealed. I'm not really attached to any of the characters. I feel distanced from all of them, despite the fact that Nick and Mae have narrated. If they died, I would just shrug my shoulders. I do like how Brennan seems intent on sticking with her characterizations of the first book. Nick's a demon, incapable of human emotion, and goddammit he will stay that way. Romantic touchy-feelyness be damned.

This book is a helluva a lot more complex than the first one, especially with the characters and their romances. I nearly drew myself a chart. Everyone is in love with the wrong person (except Nick who can't love anybody) and it turned out to be nearly Shakespearean in proportions. Everyone also had their own motives and plans. I didn't know where to look or who to trust.

Perhaps my weak mind finds this series kind of overwhelming, but I just don't understand the magic system. I mean, I get it, but not really. I'm confused as to where a magician's power ends and a demon's power begins. How is it that Jamie can wield magic if he's never made an offering to a demon? Does the magic ever run out? Where do the demons go? How do people get to know about the magical universe if they are not magicians, messengers, or demons? Are those the only magical beings? I just don't understand. I also could not understand the action sequences for the life of me. I was all "Wicka wicka what?" And all the *ahem* witty dialogue coming from the peanut gallery was a little distracting.

Overall, I do kind of like this series. It's not bad, but not a favorite of mine. I definitely will continue on to the next installment. But if you absolutely despised the first installment, I doubt it'll get much better for you. If you did like first one, but largely because of *sarcastic swoon* Nick, then you probably won't like this one as much as you have less of him and more of our pink-haired heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Covenant.

09/27/2010 page 47
10.0% "I think I might like this one a little bit more than the first one so far." 5 comments
09/29/2010 page 132
42.0% "Meh."
10/02/2010 page 331
74.0% "Now that I've sat down to read it, its gotten much better." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Hmmm, I might have to re-read the first one before I get to this one.
Great review!