Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Men in Kilts

Men in Kilts by Katie MacAlister

Aug 29, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, romance, library-book
Read from August 25 to 28, 2010

Where to begin? Did I hate it or just really dislike it? One star? Why?

Wow. I finished this yesterday and thought I'd give it a day to see if it grew on me any. Nope.

Katie is a mystery novelist who travels to Scotland for a writer's convention. Since she's basically completely unknown to everybody this is a bit thin as a premise to begin with. There she meets Ian. Ian is a talk brooding Scot who doesn't say much. Katie falls instantly in love and has copious quantities of unsafe sex with the man. She immediately moves in with him and takes up as the matron of a sheep farm in the highlands. The rest of the book is Ian being grumpy, Katie refusing to actually ever talk to the man, Katie getting worked up by everything, Katie generally being TSTL, and lots of talk about sheep.

Didn't like the heroine. Didn't like the hero. Didn't much care for the supporting players. Thought the book generally lacked a plot. Thought that it was a collection of glimpses into the lives of two people that I would happily erase from my memory if I could.

Not the worst book I've read this year, but certainly in the bottom five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men in Kilts.

08/25/2010 page 11
3.0% "Finishing my monthly challenge with my highlander."
08/26/2010 page 62
17.0% "Not really digging our heroine. Not really digging MacAlister's style right now either. We'll see if it grows on me."
08/27/2010 page 201
55.0% "meh. still feel the same."