Alicia's Reviews > Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

Aug 25, 2010

it was ok

Let me start by saying that I haven't gotten through this book yet. I want to, and I own the book so I will eventually. The problem is that these days there is something so inherently off-putting about Rob Bell's teaching that translates to his writing, that I just can't bring myself to want to read it. Now I don't know the guy personally but as a West Michigander, I feel like I kind of have to support the hometown boy. However, and let me preface this by saying there is nothing wrong with making spirituality appealing and acceptable to the masses. I sort of feel like I am about to go to a U2 concert when I encounter something from Rob Bell. It's just so freaking trendy. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that. Here in West Michigan (where Bell's church, Mars Hill, is based) the culture is very Christian Reformed, slightly dry, and very conservative. To liberal little ole me, his style and preaching are refreshing...or they were several years ago, before he was well known outside this area. Now, it is all, as I believe one reviewer put it, trendy to be trendy.

UPDATE 6/22/15:
Going through my reviews, I realized I never finished this book. I actually gave it to a friend who saw it on my bookshelf and expressed interest. Rob Bell's evangelical star kind of faded after he pushed the boundaries of his fundamentalist roots, questioning the existence of hell and all. Honestly, that was a while after I walked away from the church so I didn't give two shakes of a lamb's tail myself. Now I hear he's taken up surfing and hanging out with Oprah, and has pretty much given up on organized religion. From one ex-fundy to another, I'd probably find him more relatable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velvet Elvis.