Lulu's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Jan 11, 08

Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I finally finished it. Overall, it was a good read but I can't say that it was one of my favorites.

1. It was too long. The stories could have been told in a more succinct way. This includes the politics. I found myself constantly re-reading those sections.
2. The author should have included a glossary to define some of the terms he used or used the words in a way that I could figure out what he was talking about. In some places he did this but not nearly enough and so I found myself trying to figure it out and eventually, specially in the final 300 pages so moving on, only to realize that it was not necessary to know what he was talking about.
3. There was a lot of information about politics, religion, cultural norms as they relate to a class but I don't feel that I understand it better now as a result. There is a lot of information in my head but I can't make sense of it.
4. I felt that some of the characters were intentionally, by the author, portrayed in a certain light and all with the goal of leading Lata, the main character to her choice in the end. I noticed this from the beginning when Lata had a conversation with Malati about her future choice. At that point, I knew what her choice would be but continued reading the remaining 1400 pages anyway. Savita was there as the light to lead Lata in case she got "lost". Arun was portrayed as the fool of the family. Really clueless of himself being a pawn at his employer and self-absorbed in the status it represented. This I believe was the nail on the coffin for Lata's decision.
5. There were characters that were very interesting but the author ran out of time to finish their stories. I cared more about them and in the end was disappointed that I will never know what became of them. I can insinuate about Maan, Malati and Firoz (among others) but then it would be my story and not the authors.

Maybe one day I will read it again and perhaps spend more time on the politics and less on the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lulu I finally finished it. Overall, it was a good read but I can't say that it was one of my favorites.

Virginia Wow. I never comment on random people's posts but I agree 100% with everything you said about this book!

message 3: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir I agree. I really wish the author had written more about Maan's future. Did he avenge his father's loss in the elction by running against Waris? What happened with Tasneem? Firoz? Meenakshi's affair? So many questions.....