Nicole's Reviews > The Space Between Trees

The Space Between Trees by Katie Williams

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: ya
Recommended for: angsty teens who don't know any better
Read in August, 2010

Parts of this were beautifully written. Most was disjointed. Aspects of the relationships between the characters made sense. Much simply did not. All of the relationships were complicated.

Also, there was some serious girl homoerotism going on. Which, lord knows, I'm ok with.

But.

I got the feeling that Williams was going for one of those "open" endings, oh my how confusing the world is, sometimes bad things just happen, where oh where to turn, what to do, I am left so very unsettled, how postmodern of me. EXCEPT that she all but said, "sometimes things just happen and sometimes endings are unsettling". You can't say it. Saying it makes it settled. Saying it gives closure. Jeesh.
It wasn't the disjointed-ness or the unsettled character relationships that bothered me. It was the flat, one-dimensional characters. You can be a wacky teenage who alternately kisses and slaps (metaphorically and literally) and still be one-dimensional. Hadley proves that much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Trees.