Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Dark and Disorderly

Dark and Disorderly by Bernita Harris

Sep 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, paranormal-romance, death-reapers-zombies, stand-alone, free-read, read-in-2010, kindle-other-sources, arc
Read from September 01 to 02, 2010

Lillie is a bitter woman used and abused by her husband and considered an outcaste by society which finds itself needing her to help with the increase in ghostly activity which sometimes poses a risk to the living. When her husband dies in a car accident and his corpse comes back to kill her, somehow she's implicated in his death and has to find a way to exonerate herself as well as dodging further attempts on her life.

Lillie's bitterness colours her perspective. Her terrible experiences with her husband has her seeing men in a negative light. She's also incredibly suspicious of Thresher's interest in her because of her outcaste status as a Talent. Everyone avoids her except those that see her as a trophy lay, a walk on the wild side. And now that she's a widow she's even more attractive because we all know widows are in need of physical touch. She was a likeable character in need of a real friend that isn't afraid of her and can accept her as she is. Thresher seemed to fit the bill though I would've liked to have seen more of him.

In some ways, the Talents are similar to the Animators in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Both are capable of raising zombies although the opinions on this by the main characters from each series as well as the laws governing them are completely different.

Overall, I liked the plot and was surprised by the tense and scary, well-written showdown which I loved but as a woman also found quite unnerving. I also loved the gentle ending with Lillie and Thresher.

However, the beginning was undefined. I wasn't sure where the beginning was in fact and there was an information overload in an attempt at world-building which if I hadn't been intending to review this book I would've given up quite early on. Perhaps if there was a prologue or something, it would've been easier to take in all the facts. The writing was shaky to begin with but gradually improved. With some editing this could easily be a four-star read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Disorderly.

09/01/2010
3.0% "Shaky start but we're onto listing reasons for raising the dead, one of which is necrophilia! I'm seeing a bit of Anita Blake in this."
09/02/2010
100.0% "Review to come."

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Hm, I'll be keeping an eye on this, I don't know if I want to read it yet, it will depend on your review.

message 2: by JenBee (new) - added it

JenBee Interested to see what you have to say on this one as I have it to read too. The Anita Blake ref does not help me as I've not read any....