Ruth's Reviews > By the Shores of Silver Lake

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Aug 25, 10

Read in May, 2010

I re-read this book after my sister and I talked about the scenes w/ Mary going blind. I remember the family being in dire straights, and was interested to read it as an adult. The only Laura I.W. book I have read as an adult is the Long Winter. I read them all about a hundred times each growing up.

Anyway, Mary goes blind before the book begins, and the story is very tragic. Of course, being optimistic pioneers, the family persevere, sell the tired farm in Minn. and move west to the end of the Rail road line so Pa can earn some cash.

The book follows the family's fragile beginnings in Dakota territory, and I don't know how you could read it and not be impressed by the mindset of these hardworking, god-fearing folks. They manage to survive somehow, at times living in a tiny shanty. Laura finds purpose in her life because of Mary's blindness. She never wanted to be a teacher, but now accepts it as a necesity and wants to help the family. A great book, I really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Shores of Silver Lake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia I don't think I read that one. I loved Little House though! They are Lily's favorite childhood books! I remember when I was growing up a family friend who was a pre-teenager gave me her Little House collection because she said she hated it and that it was boring. I was horrified. What kind of person hates Little House, I thought?!