Nicole's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

F 50x66
Aug 25, 2010

bookshelves: george-r-r-martin

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Nicole Liked

George R.R. Martin
“A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in every man's life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose. (Maester Aemon)”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

“Winter is coming.”

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

George R.R. Martin
“Life is not a song, sweetling.
Someday you may learn that, to your sorrow.”

George R.R. Martin
“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“Give me honorable enemies rather than ambitious ones, and I'll sleep more easily by night.”

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.”

George R.R. Martin
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”