Sarah's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.

Miss Clark Agreed. I still find the idea of the library brilliant, and I would certainly visit, but I found the characters pretty flat as well.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 30, 2010 09:13AM) (new) - added it

Sarah I realized while reading this one how very rarely a book hits me right in every area, and how many books, lately, have been failures for me. A rash of mediocre YA. One might have great characters, but a messy plot. Another might have beautiful writing, but a plot that goes nowhere. Another has cool premise but wooden writing. Etc.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is not authorial, but editorial. We hear a lot about how busy editors are, and I wonder if they just don't have enough time to give every element of every book the attention it needs.

Miss Clark I know! I frequent many book blogs and while I appreciate their enthusiasm, I am shocked at how many books they rave and gush over and then when I read them I am very disappointed by them. I don't think it is because I am too high-brow or sophisticated. I love plenty of things that are not necessarily of the highest technical or thematic caliber.

I do feel a lot of these books I am disappointed with are because I see some very good elements that are either not carried through or are obscured by various other elements done very poorly. What I have been saying is that they are books that are simply not yet ready for publication. They need more work and I am not sure who is to blame, but I agree that it could very well be as much the editor as the author. I would like to see these stories given the treatment that would allow them to become truly the stories they could be. Alas.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah What I have been saying is that they are books that are simply not yet ready for publication

Yes, exactly. Probably not fair to blame the editors themselves, but the publishing industry, for being less interested in the books themselves than the bottom line (money).