Megan's Reviews > Uses of a Whirlwind: Movement, Movements, and Contemporary Radical Currents in the United States

Uses of a Whirlwind by Craig Hughes

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: activism, non-fiction, politics, favorites
Read from August 25, 2010 to March 01, 2011

I nominated this book for the Indie Booksellers Choice Awards, but alas, it didn't make it into the finalists. But here was my pitch for that:

How do we "go from being in the wind, grouped in whirlwinds, to making a revolution"? The editors of this volume, in order to answer this question, bring together theoretical pieces on social change with case studies and profiles of on-the-ground organizations doing the difficult work of resisting destructive social systems while building socially just alternatives. Written for the 2010 US Social Forum, it remains a prime example of the type of intellectual work we need if we want to see genuine, truly democratic and sustainable change here in the United States. Collectively authored and edited, it is the book on independent politics from an independent press this past year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uses of a Whirlwind.

01/21/2011 page 20