AH's Reviews > Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method: The Weight-Loss Kick-Start that Makes Perfection Possible

Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method by Tracy Anderson

Aug 25, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads, non-fiction, to-give-away, zzread-dec-2010
Read from October 25 to December 06, 2010

I was really excited to win this book in a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway. After all, who doesn’t have a few pounds to shed? So I decided that maybe I would give this diet and exercise plan a try. I sat down to read and the exercises looked great. (Gwyneth – you do look wonderful). I continued reading and I was shocked when I got to the diet plan.

Kale juice!

She wants me to drink kale juice. For those of you who don’t know, kale is a leafy green vegetable, chock full of vitamins and very good for you. I continued to look over the diet plan and I was absolutely shocked. Two whole food groups are missing. There are no grains and no dairy products. I examined a menu plan and noticed that the breakfast was approximately 100 calories. Now, keep in mind that you need to exercise 90 minutes daily with this plan on 100 calories for breakfast. Sure, you’ll lose weight, but you’ll probably faint. I also noticed that the meal plans and recipes did not have a caloric or nutritional breakdown, something that I feel is very important in any diet.

Basically, if you can follow her plan, you will most likely lose a lot of weight. But here’s the thing: it takes a commitment of 90 minutes of exercise daily and a very restrictive meal plan and kale juice.

An exercise DVD was included. It was fun and had some great music.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method.

10/25/2010 page 1
0.0% "Hmm... I wonder if this works for mere mortals like myself." 2 comments
11/02/2010 page 150
47.0% "OK, the exercises look doable. Wonder what the food plan is like?"
11/29/2010 page 200
63.0% "Food plan is very restrictive. No calorie counts or nutritional information is available. Breakfast appears to be about 100 cal." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Greta is Erikasbuddy are u actually doing the plan while you read it?

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH The plan was that I was going to do it. Then I looked at the menu plan. Kale juice. Who drinks kale juice? Also one of the meals on the vegetarian plan was 1/2 a grapefruit. I can't eat 1/2 a grapefruit for breakfast. I would be hungry in 1/2 an hour.

She has an exercise DVD in the book. I want to give that a try. And there is no way that I believe that Gwyneth Paltrow ever had a weight problem, even after the birth of her kids.

Greta is Erikasbuddy They just used her as the money shot ;) NOPe! I don't think that she had a weight problem either.

OMG! What on earth is KALE? I don't know what that is and it already sounds yucky.

LOLZ! I don't think I could just eat half a grapefruit for breakfast either. And I'm sure they'd frown at all the sugar I put on it to make it taste good lolz!!

But you know... back in the day when my Mom was dieting she did this thing called the grapefruit diet. That's pretty much all she ate. It's a wonder how she didn't get a bladder infection from all the citric acid lolz

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH All of our moms did that diet. Cottage cheese, grapefruit, and hard boiled eggs. You lost weight, but the minute you went back to eating food, you gained it all back.

It's portion control and keeping track of what you eat combined with exercise. If only I could get all three together. Oh and fibre is your friend.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh i love FIBER :)

Do you know they put it in soup now?

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Apparently, it's possible to overdose on fibre. My oldest tends to because I only buy high fibre bread and he eats almost the entire loaf. Guess who gets the final laugh - MUHAHA....*evil laugh* That'll show him when he is being a piggie.

Greta is Erikasbuddy hahahs!! That's soo awesome lolz!!

But who cleans the pot? LMAO!! You should make that his job lolz ;P

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Oh, I wish they would clean up after themselves. They are such pigs. We give them chores and clean up after them.

Greta is Erikasbuddy oh snap!! I know what you mean! I ask my son to clean this or that... and after he's done I get so frustrated with how he did it that I have to do it again so it will be right. BLAHS!!

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Never let them see you clean it a second time or they will always clean badly.

Greta is Erikasbuddy oh crud! That explains many things

message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana 100 calorie breakfast? I wouldn't even be able to think straight after such meal.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Here is a breakfast -
Day 1 strawberry mint salad (1 c strawberries --about 60cal)
Day 5 1/2 grapefruit (maybe 60-100 cal)
Day 6 Kale juice and a hard boiled egg (maybe 110 cal).

Scary, huh?

message 14: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Yes. I don't believe in diets that make you starve. I am not even overweight or an over-eater and this is too brutal for me. 90 min of exercise is fine, but meals have to be reasonable as well.

message 15: by Cory (new)

Cory I'd try this if I was maybe 50lb overweight. But I'm not interested in starving myself to loose 10lb.

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH You could not do this diet if you were 50lb overweight. There's not enough calories.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Ewws!! I don't even know where you would buy Kale Juice at. Maybe at an organic store? LOLZ! WE don't have any of them in my little town.

Let's see... I'm going to go count up my breakfat calories... brb... Welps, just by counting the one poptart that I eat I'm already taking in DOUBLE that they will permit for breakfast. Snikeys!

And I agree with the recipes. THere should be a calorie/ nutritional breakdown. I'm big into Fiber and that's the first thing I would want to see. (LOLZ! You needed to know that, right?)

Most awesome review!! I'm totally going to try to find KALE juice the next time I'm out.

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH I think it is important to have a total nutritional breakdown - calories, fat, carbs, sugars, and fibre for sure. Also to omit dairy and grains is probably not a good idea, especially for a month. I can see doing it for a week, but a month is a long time for a woman not to be missing some of the nutrients in those foods.

Also, different sized people have different caloric needs. If you start this diet at 180lb, it is very different from starting it at 110lb. You would definitely need more calories at the higher weight.

Pop tarts, huh? I just had a decadent Ghiradelli hot chocolate. I shoveled snow all morning. I deserved it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy NOMS!! I want some hot chocolate!!

YUP! I totally agree with your views on the diets! I would starve lolz! We rarely eat meat here (except for chicken -- not my choice lolz) and one of our main foods (in my house) are grains. Plus, a woman knocking out dairy for a month is just crazy! Did they tell you to take supplements? - Were there any GOOD fruits and veggies they let you have? Or were they all Kale, Prunes, and Rutabaga? yuckles!

message 20: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Didn't see anything on supplements. But there were 7 recipes for Kale. Must be magical.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Ewws!! Whoever wrote that must love their Kale lolz!!

Okey doke! I just looked up what Kale is and YUCKS!! Cabbage juice lolz!! Although, it does say that Kale is rich with Calcium, Vitamin C, K, and Beta Carotene. Still... looks like cabbage... yucks!

message 22: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Isn't it the same as collard greens?

Greta is Erikasbuddy it's in that family. Ewwws!! Yuck yuk yuck!! It's also in the family of wild cabbage (which grown in my yard hahahs!! Hey! Come visit me and I'll put some in the blender for you... NOMS!!)

message 24: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Ewww!

message 25: by Sans (new)

Sans That's one of thing things I "love" about these kinds of detox plans/diets/whatever. You're supposed to basically starve yourself with a fraction of the daily calories a healthy person needs to keep going, then kill yourself with excessive exercise when you have zero energy from a calorie deficiency. Awesome.

I do have to say that I like kale. And swiss chard and collard greens and all those dark leafy greens.

message 26: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Sans, if you like kale then this could be the diet for you (if you needed a diet...).

The exercises did look good. Gwyneth made a great model.

message 27: by Sans (new)

Sans Dearling, I most definitely need a diet. (She says as she's sipping on spicy hot chocolate...). I picked up a juicer a while back and got a juicing diet/detox book to go with it. I really need to start waking up earlier to actually make my juices for the day...

message 28: by Catherine (last edited Dec 08, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

Catherine I'm not a fan of diets per se. I prefer help eating right and in moderation, not cutting out every single yummy thing in my life.

My sister did the Atkins diet a couple years ago and lost a lot of weight, but it was torture for her. When she eventually stopped and just started eating normally (not unhealthy) it all piled back on in a snap.

message 29: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Atkins is weird like that. I knew so many people who lost on that diet. The minute they ate a crouton, all the weight returned.

Moderation and exercise is key. I've got to put down that cookie.

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine AH wrote: "Moderation and exercise is key."

I agree. You've actually got to change your habits, not just adopt a fad for a few months.

message 31: by Sans (new)

Sans Easier said than done. XD

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Sans wrote: "Easier said than done. XD"

I completely agree. Just because I know what would help doesn't mean I consistently practice it. =)

message 33: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH It comes down to a 21 day thing. You set small goals like "I'm going to drink water - 8 glasses a day" and you do that for 21 days - it becomes a habit. You add a new thing every few days like - I am going to eat my vegetables or I am going to exercise. If you keep it up for 21 days, it becomes a habit.

It is way easier said than done. I've struggled all my life with this. But it has to be something that works with your life.

message 34: by Sans (new)

Sans Very true. Maybe my first 21 day goal should be, "I will not have more than two cocktails a night", then make it a goal to drink only on REALLY bad days and the weekends.

message 35: by Catherine (last edited Dec 09, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Catherine Sans wrote: "Very true. Maybe my first 21 day goal should be, "I will not have more than two cocktails a night", then make it a goal to drink only on REALLY bad days and the weekends."

LOL! I've been meaning to try out a lemon drop ever since you mentioned it.

message 36: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH The holidays are probably not a good time to make a goal about drinking, right?

Lemon drop does sound yummy.

message 37: by Sans (last edited Dec 09, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Sans OMG, they're so delicious, especially if you have Meyer lemons. We have a dwarf tree in the backyard and they're finally ripening. Mine are super simple, but addicting. Let me know if you gals want the recipe. I also make a mean Toulouse sidecar.

And seriously, AH. I need all the liquid courage I can get, especially at company dos.

message 38: by Bark's Book Nonsense (last edited Dec 09, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Bark's Book Nonsense This sounds like another one of those fad things that are impossible to stick with and even if you manage to do so you will more than likely gain the weight back because it doesn't teach you to make a lifestyle change. Have you read Eat Clean? It is sensible and allows you to eat and lose in a healthy way. I follow it about 80%, I just can't give up sugar and coffee. Life is not fun without them for me or those around me ;) I do the P90X program and a combo of Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, Rodney Yee vids. This way I can still eat a few cupcakes here and there.

The Eat-Clean Diet Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever! by Tosca Reno

Bark's Book Nonsense Sans, I'd love the recipe

message 40: by Sans (new)

Sans I tried a couple of Jillian Michaels moves and jacked up my already bad knee pretty bad. I was on crutches for about a month. Definitely returned that workout vid.

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Sans wrote: "OMG, they're so delicious, especially if you have Meyer lemons. We have a dwarf tree in the backyard and they're finally ripening. Mine are super simple, but addicting. Let me know if you gals want..."

I want the recipe!

message 42: by Catherine (new)

Catherine BarkLessWagMore wrote: "This sounds like another one of those fad things that are impossible to stick with and even if you manage to do so you will more than likely gain the weight back because it doesn't teach you to mak..."

I'm doing P90 right now. Ouch!

Bark's Book Nonsense Oh no! The plyo stuff is tough on the knees, especially those dumb rockstar jumps. I do a whimpy version of them because I hate them.

message 44: by Sans (new)

Sans You got it!

Lemon Drop
juice of one lemon (Meyer if available)
1 part Patron Citronge
2 parts Svedka Citrus vodka
sugar
simple syrup if needed
Shake lemon juice, Citronge and vodka (and simple syrup if you need a sweeter drink) over ice. Rub used lemon half around the rim of a chilled cocktail glass and roll rim in sugar. Pour and enjoy!
I sometimes mix a bit of lime juice in for a change in flavor.
If you change the lemon juice to all lime juice and add a splash of cranberry, this makes the perfect Cosmo as well.

Toulouse Sidecar
1 part VSOP brandy
2 parts sweetened earl grey tea
3/4 part St. Germaine elderflower liquour
Add all to a highball glass or large brandy snifter filled with ice and stir. Add lemon curl for presentation.
Personally I go heavy on the brandy, but some folks don't like to taste the brandy as much. I also go very easy when sweetening the tea, but again, that's to personal taste.

And finally, if you want a "healthy" cocktail, here's my Spa Cooler!
5-8 thin cucumber slices
5 fresh mint leaves
5-8 fresh blueberries
juice of 1 lime
1-3 oz vodka (I prefer Svedka original)
simple syrup to taste
Muddle the cucumber, mint and blueberries with the lime juice in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add vodka and simple syrup, shake over ice. Strain into a highball or similar glass filled with ice, garnish with cucumber slice, mint leaf and/or lime curl.

ENJOY!!

message 45: by Sans (new)

Sans BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Oh no! The plyo stuff is tough on the knees, especially those dumb rockstar jumps. I do a whimpy version of them because I hate them."

Yeah, those were the ones that killed me. I think there was one where you had to do jumping side lunges or something? That's how I injured it originally years ago. I stick with walking, cycling and pilates now.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Oh no! The plyo stuff is tough on the knees, especially those dumb rockstar jumps. I do a whimpy version of them because I hate them."

The don't have the plyo in the P90. I think it's just in the P90X.

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Sans wrote: "You got it!

Lemon Drop
juice of one lemon (Meyer if available)
1 part Patron Citronge
2 parts Svedka Citrus vodka
sugar
simple syrup if needed
Shake lemon juice, Citronge and vodka (and simple syr..."

Thanks!

message 48: by Sans (new)

Sans You're very welcome! I have more recipes (than are healthy) if you like ginger flavors. Let me know.

message 49: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I have no idea if I like ginger flavors. I like it in chicken. :)

I usually drink margaritas or malibu and pineapple juice or amaretto sours or sex on the beach. I like liquor that doesn't taste like liquor.

message 50: by Sans (new)

Sans You'd probably like a White Orchid then.
1 part Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
2 parts Svedka original
1 part white cranberry juice
Shake over ice, serve in chilled cocktail glass

« previous 1