Jacqueline's Reviews > Tough Customer

Tough Customer by Sandra Brown

Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, romantic-suspense, from-work-borders
Read on August 24, 2010

This one was kind of hard to categorize. The mystery wasn't very mysterious and the end was a bit of a cop out and there weren't any clues dropped that I could see to help the reader figure it out. Some of the police stuff wasn't real realistic.

The story of Berry and the man stalking her was interrupted quite often by flashbacks of her parents affair 30 years ago. At first the flashbacks were a little disruptive and then you realized that the real story was happening in the flashbacks and because they had been apart for 30 years you knew a train wreck was coming and it was a bit agonizing waiting for it.

I loved the character of Dodge and would have been happy if more of the story had revolved around him. Eventually I got a little emotional over his mistakes and his sad life and was happy that he eventually got a second chance. Caroline, the woman he loved was also not entirely without blame either.

I've read some reviews that said they didn't like the manipulative ways that Berry got herself in trouble. But as I've said before, I don't expect all my characters to be perfect people. I like them better if they're not. I will say however that had there been more from Berry's POV about her learning and growing and realizing she'd taken a wrong path, it would have been easier to make her a more sympathetic character. It wasn't that she didn't grow just that there wasn't room enough to really show it rather than tell it.

Not a regular romance and not a real good mystery but it does succeed on the level of showing mistakes can affect a person's whole life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tough Customer.