Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > One Bloody Thing After Another

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: netgalley-reviews
Read on September 06, 2010 — I own a copy

*Reviewed for NetGalley*

One Bloody Thing After Another is an untraditional horror novel. It's format is spare and the language stark. This establishes the tone for the odd premise that combines three stories that veer from normalcy to the bizzare. The characters are simply drawn yet strangely engaging, particularly Jackie as a disturbed, yearning teen.
The flow felt uncomfortable, perhaps that was the authors intent, but it made it difficult for me to settle into it, particularly near the end with Jackie's disjointed experiences. It was a very quick read, it took me less than hour at just over 110 pages (if you dismiss the blank page chapter breaks.
One Bloody Thing After Another has some scenes that I admired for their creeping sense of unease and masterfully explores themes such as loss, alienation and sacrifice that are embedded in the arcs of the individual characters stories. What I had difficulty with is the stacatto style and structure so I can't say I enjoyed reading it all that much. I'd recommend One Bloody Thing After Another for those that like horror tales a little left of center or are just looking for something new to try.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Bloody Thing After Another.