Kari Anderson's Reviews > Always the Baker, Never the Bride

Always the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker

Aug 30, 10

Read from August 24 to 27, 2010

Emma Rae is one of, if not the, best bakers in Atlanta. And she has just landed an amazing gig as the head baker at a brand new hotel. This is a place for Emma to express her creativity, expand her horizons and fall in love? Of course Emma’s boss is a total hottie, but there are a couple of things holding them back. 1. Is is wrong to date your boss? and 2. Less than two years ago, his wife died of cancer. Is it too soon?

I have never really been one to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but recently I have been trying my hand at cupcakes. They have turned out pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself. But I never thought I would be interested in books that focus on a cook, chef or baker. This is the second book from NetGalley that I have read that has had recipes between the chapters, and I absolutely love them. After I write this post, I am going to pull the book back up and get the recipe for Emma’s Mocha Latte Cookies. Doesn’t the name just sound delicious? And they are dipped in chocolate! I can’t wait to make them.

I have a bad habit of not reading the summary of the book, so based on title, I was surprised with this story. I thought it was going to be more about a baker’s bad dates, but it was so much more and I loved it! It was cute, southern and there were a few love stories thrown in.

Although this is more of a girly, cooking, weddingy book, this is a book of growth for a man who lost his wife. Not that you ever want to tell someone it’s time to move on, this would be a great book to do just that. I hope that I would never have to give this to a friend, but I am sure at some point, someone will lose someone and hopefully I will remember this book to pass on.

This book is also good for diabetics. Emma is a diabetic, who bakes with sweets on a daily basis. She considers it a naughty trick from God. I would hate to not be able to eat the goodies I bake. But Emma does just that. She allows herself a sliver, but deals with it. It may not be a huge part of the story, but it’s a nice story for diabetics to show that you can do anything that anyone else can. My brother needs to read this!

Now I mentioned the recipes between the chapters. I find myself really liking books that have something to break up the chapters. In this book, there were recipes and since Emma bakes for weddings, different tips for weddings. Some of which I wish I had for my wedding (which our year anniversary is about a month and a half away wow). There was a list of some more non-traditional ways to get married, like have a murder mystery dinner or do it in the morning and have tea. There was also a list of wedding favors. My favorite was small packs of coffee with personalized labels that say “A Perfect Blend”. Isn’t that adorable?

I give Always the Baker Never the Bride 5 bookmarks. Loved the characters, loved the story.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always the Baker, Never the Bride.

08/25/2010 page 80
28.0% "Who doesn't love a book with baking recipes? Mmm"
show 1 hidden update…