Mike Puma's Reviews > The Drowning of Stephan Jones

4193758
Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: ya, 1991, glbt-ya-fic
Read in January, 1991

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowning of Stephan Jones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I see you gave this 4 stars, but other reviewers are not quite so positive. Is the characterization as poor as others think?

Mike Puma Nancy wrote: "I see you gave this 4 stars, but other reviewers are not quite so positive. Is the characterization as poor as others think?"

You know, I'm concerned about that 4-star rating myself, primarily because the ending of the book has kind of haunted me in a peculiar way--especially because so much YA lit has proven to be unmemorable, while this one has kind of stuck in my memory. I'm concerned about spoilers here, but, if I remember correctly, I really didn't like the idea that part of the bully's 'punishment' was being (view spoiler). And that I really didn't like--it reinforces the wrong stereotype. That help? Other aspects of the book I've pretty much forgotten, and I don't have a copy any longer. Bette Greene is an important YA author, and this is an older title. That 'just desserts' aspect doesn't play well any longer.