K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Aug 30, 10

bookshelves: ya, adventure, dystopian
Recommended to K.D. by: Mo Twister (Book 1)
Recommended for: No one
Read from August 24 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Her name is Katniss Everdeen. Mockingjay. "Haba ng hair"

"Haba ng hair" literally means long hair. However, in the Philippines, it means that the girl to whom you address this is very fortunate to have many guys falling for her.

That, in this book is Katniss. She has the goodlooking hunter dude, Gale by her side and she enjoys his kisses while doing their hunting (I am not sure how they could still get animals from bomb-striken District 13) in the meadows. Over at the Capitol, is her previous co-tribute in the arena, the baker Peeta who despite having an artificial leg can still fight like there is no tomorrow. At some point, Katniss also flirted with the underwear-model-looking Finnick before he made up his mind and married Annie. Lastly, there was a thought that she could also be an item with Darius. And these guys are all good-looking. All the young readers, female and gays, are dreaming to be like Katniss.

And she is not only popular among the boys. She also has an entourage of beauticians and couturiers who dress her up with wonderful fiery costumes and remove all the the blemishes and freckles off her skin prior to shooting her commercials. How they do that is a puzzle for me because there is no mention of a beauty salon in District 13. To make sure that the boys, Avon-make up and the signature but Batwoman-like costumes will be an envy of the whole universe, she is also being followed by a fleet of TV network people: a director, his assistant, cool (but one of them is mute) looking cameramen and a couple of other techical staff who Katniss calls as "insects."

In fact, this book should be a good case study for Marketing cases in the MBA (paging MBA schools!). With Katniss as the untiring model, they (The Hunger Games gamemaster, The President, Katniss drunkard mentor and a battery of minor irrelevant characters) experiment with diffent concepts - the dialogues, the location, the storyboard... Then they see if the product sales is moving up or declining. What do the target markets want? Katniss to show more skin? Katniss to say "I love The Bar!"?

And oh, the fight scenes. Most of them are just rehash of the previous 2 books. There is nothing new. Some of them even corny. The mutts remind me of zombies or the souls in the purgatory. The holo reminds me of the candidate Noynoy Aquino suddenly incarnating on the floor of ABS-CBN's TV Patrol. Morphing is just too ridiculous to have some believability.

Her name is Suzanne Collins. Happy camper. Millionaire writer.

Suzanne, please. I really liked Book 1 (Thanks to your husband Cap Pryor who put sense in it according to your Acknowledgements) so I gave it a 4-star. There was no prep team then and the idea of young children killing each other really surprised me. Your Book 2 is still okay (2-star) because I read it a month after Book 1 and I was still reeling from bewilderment.

But your Book 3 is unfortunately, a total disappointment. It is supposed to be where the Big "O" should happen. However, it fizzled out. There are no stars. There is no fire. Even the character of Katniss is left cold despite her collage of boys, make up, attire and costume.

I am also distracted by the way you use the verb "to materialize". Good that you only used them thrice:

p. 15 "A hovercraft materializes and a ladder drops down."
p. 45 "When I turn, a guard has materialized from one of the rooms at the far end of the corridor."
p.129 "When the cabinets are empty, I rise to find that Gale has materialized in my kitchen.

I am not an expert on this (as English is not my first language) but, for me, the use of the word is awkward. Here in the Philippines, we don't refer to a person or an object like a material, materializing. We normally refer it to an idea like "That suggestion will not materialize."

Hire a good proofreader, I spotted some errors that my English teacher in the elementary school would definitely mark red. One example:

pp. 268 "He grins. "No. Not unless you want me to alert the rest of the army."

And oh, please refrain from using confusing names like Flavius and Fluvia. With so many characters in your book, I suggest that you make them totally different from each other. What kind of name is Leeg? Do you know that in the Philippines, it means "neck"? And you even have Leeg 1 and Leeg 2? Also, Flavius, Octavia and Venia (your disgusting prep team) remind me of a female genitalia. Too feminine. Too distracting.

My goodness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

08/24/2010 page 1
0.0% "Just started. Ashamed. Ang tanda ko na nagbabasa pa ako nito! At naghintay pang magbukas ang Podium. As in pumila ha ha." 16 comments
08/25/2010 page 149
37.0% "Best part so far: The Hanging Tree (3rd stanza):
"Are you, are you Coming to the tree Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me. Strange things did happen here No stranger would it be If we meet up at midnight in the hanging tree."
"

Faye haha, Kuya, there's a reason why they have to beautify the tributes. maybe you skipped that part in the first book. ^_^ I'm a bit disappointed with the book too, but i still feel it's the best book among the three.

message 2: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace I'm so loving Mockingjay... My favorite line so far: "I'm going to be the Mockingjay"

Faye mine's "fire is catching. and if we burn, you burn with us."

message 4: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace 1 star? ouch!

Regine I've only read the first book of the series. I'm very disheartened that you only gave it 1 star...but I think I'm still determined to give the last two books of the series another go.

message 6: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace so wala nang book discussion niyan? hehehe!

message 7: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely @Regine: please do. It's just that the book is not for me, I guess. I am not its target market.

@Ace: yes, unfortunately, I want to forget about the book now. I don't want to talk about it for at least 2-3 days. I have to shake it off my system first. Then we can discuss it and it will not mean anything anymore. I guess that I expected too much. My hands were even shaking with excitement when I was in the first few pages. I even took a 1.5 vacation leave from work just to read this book. I even queued in front of Podium. Ha ha. Enough. Continue reading. I hope you will like it and don't worry about the old man. Ha ha

Jinky Wondered about the animals too! Didn't care for the fight scenes either. As far as 'materialized', I think it was to say an unexpected appearance...whether person or object. Oh yeah, the names were pretty wild but no genitalia came to mind!! Also, I think Katniss was pretty wishy-washy here..see-sawing from teen to adult so she becomes neither! And don't get me started on Peeta & Gale...dissappointing character developments. But I like the book because overall I think Collins has a way with story telling that gets you turn the pages even if it's unbelievable. btw--I liked your review, not necessary to agree with your rating or content but for your perceptive thoughts.

Take good care.

Tina Finally I can read your review!

I can't write a review yet because I promised it for The POC...but I agree with some of your points here. I finished reading the book and came out very confused that I had to re-read parts of it to understand what really happened. I'm not sure I fully understand it, though.

Major peeve about the book: how many times did something big happen and Katniss wakes up in the hospital after? :/

I don't love it, but I like it. It wasn't the ideal ending for me, but it was acceptable for me to close the series that way. The upside is it didn't bore me, and I was also a bit disappointed at how things were handled in the end. I still like Catching Fire better. *shrug*

Cienne Olaes i enjoyed reading your review KD. At least something good came up after the disappointment to reading mockingjay... that is, your review mocking collins and the last book...

Joyzi Wahaha I know Leeg is an awful2x name, I also hate the name Castor, like what's this? like Castor oil, give me a break

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Great writer, this Collins. She earns more money as she runs out of ideas. Save up for her 4th book!

jzhunagev Ahhh! Kuya Doni! Thanks for this review. It voiced a lot of my concerns about the book so I didn't need to write a review. If I did that the disappointment will still linger and I don't want that for the life of me.

Great review Kuya! ^_^

jzhunagev Joselito wrote: "Great writer, this Collins. She earns more money as she runs out of ideas. Save up for her 4th book!"

You are the real MOCKINGJ!

Ahahaha! :D

message 15: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Know what, Jzhun? When I saw in my inbox (my office email is open the whole day in the office) that you liked my review of Mockingjay, Because in the other thread we are talking about Harper Lee and Truman Capote, I thought you went back to my review of Harper Lee's novel and you liked it ha-ha! Mockingbird nga pala yon! Thanks for liking my review.

Yes, leave it to the brothers!

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "Thanks for liking my review."

You just made life easy for me.
First you lend me your books and now this review.
I really owe you a lot now! :)

message 17: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Aug 30, 2010 08:22PM) (new) - added it

Kwesi 章英狮 Sorry for entering without knowing everyone, Mockingjay really deserve a low star, I don't know what happened to Suzanne when writing her last installment of 'the Hunger Games'. Maybe she really force her brain to write like Stephenie Meyer or worst.

For the review, it was nice and real.

message 18: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Kwesi.

Sherish Bustamante K.D. haha.. funny ng review mo.. i dont like Peeta on this book.. Wala syang ginawa.. and katniss lagi na lang na hospital.. haha.. but i like the story..

message 20: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Sherish. Oh no, Peeta has the juiciest role in the story. At first, Peeta "ang bihag" inspired Katniss to fight. Later, Peeta "the mutt" still inspired Katniss to fight. Finally, Peeta "the hunk" won over Gale. I have too much fire in me says Katniss, so I want Peeta. Haba talaga ng hair ha-ha.

Sherish Bustamante Naman???ang panget naman na naging mutt sya.. i give Gale all the credit.. sumama pa sya sa pag rescue kay Peeta.. Anyway.. never mind K.D. i know you don't like to discuss Mockingjay.. hehe.. thanx though..

Kwesi 章英狮 welcome.

message 23: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never Your review made me rethink my to-read stance for this book. One book off my reading load. :)

message 24: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Ha ha. But remember that your taste might be different from mine. I think my big issue here is that I expected too much from Suzanne Collins. I did things that I hadn't done before.

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO this review just cracked me up. Of course, I had to be more kind, even though I did feel emotionally manipulated by the book. But doesn't every adolescent girl dream of having the "haba ng hair" phenomenon? I know I did. :)

message 26: by Tiffanyy (new)

Tiffanyy Are you kidding me? There is so much WRONG in this review that I can't even begin to... ugh...

Okay.

"She has the goodlooking hunter dude, Gale by her side and she enjoys his kisses while doing their hunting"
Okay, so apparently, you're implying that Katniss is that ditsy, 'Oh-so-hot' teenager? That is so flawed in itself. She and Gale have been friends because they work together to feed their starving families. They don't even speak while hunting, just crouch down in wait so as to not scare away prey. If you actually read the book, you will find that Katniss is very unfamiliar with the whole "love" thing. She has no interest in getting married, having kids, having a romantic relationship. She even quotes in the first book that she never thought of him in a romantic way. And when they kiss, it's very basic and matter of fact.

"...the baker Peeta who despite having an artificial leg can still fight like there is no tomorrow."
When exactly does he fight? He did choke Katniss once... erm... and he did push Mitchell away with pretty good force... oh, and he also tried to bash Katniss's head in with his gun. But they all require ARM strength.

"At some point, Katniss also flirted with the underwear-model-looking Finnick before he made up his mind and married Annie."
Ok, please reference this again. She has absolutely no interest in Finnick, if she did "flirt" with him, it was to show him up or just to 'play' - non-sexually, of course.

"Lastly, there was a thought that she could also be an item with Darius. And these guys are all good-looking. All the young readers, female and gays, are dreaming to be like Katniss."
Are you shitting me?!
So you're telling me, that even though Peter himself says that she 'isn't particular pretty', that Haymitch says she's got as much charm as a dead slug and the fact that she goes through terrifying nightmares every night, that she has to deal with many deaths that she knows is 'her cause' and the fact that she suffers mental breakdown and desperately seeks ways to commit suicide - I'm supposed to wish I was her?
Oh yes, please - bring on the sweet, sweet pain baby!

"And she is not only popular among the boys."
Oh... yes! All TWO of them!

"She also has an entourage of beauticians and couturiers who dress her up with wonderful fiery costumes and remove all the the blemishes and freckles off her skin prior to shooting her commercials. How they do that is a puzzle for me because there is no mention of a beauty salon in District 13."
I'm sorry, light skimming does not count for reading a book, let alone reviewing it.
There is no beauty salon. Well, maybe there is in its many levels underground. But you don't need a beauty salon anyway, I could apply my makeup and make me over on my own in my room, thank you very much. The prep team and their equipment needed is all that is...needed. I don't see how a seperate building labelled "Beauty Salon" is necessary.

"To make sure that the boys, Avon-make up and the signature but Batwoman-like costumes will be an envy of the whole universe, she is also being followed by a fleet of TV network people: a director, his assistant, cool (but one of them is mute) looking cameramen and a couple of other techical staff who Katniss calls as "insects."
For fucks sake. You are trying my patience with the most ignorant review I have ever read in my entire life. Her make-up for one is called BEAUTY BASE ZERO. Which means no sparkle, big hair-dos, lipstick, whatever. It means just as she described "waking up in the morning, looking natural". Second of all, the 'batwoman-like costume' (which I assume is the mockingjay outfit) is designed to save her life, with a suicide pill that's easily accessible and it's designed to protect her vital organs. It's supposed to look pretty, who wants to follow someone who looks like a complete madwoman fresh out of hospital and mental treatment? They need the SYMBOL to appear confident, calm and assertive.

"In fact, this book should be a good case study for Marketing cases in the MBA (paging MBA schools!). With Katniss as the untiring model, they...experiment with diffent concepts - the dialogues, the location, the storyboard... Then they see if the product sales is moving up or declining. What do the target markets want? Katniss to show more skin? Katniss to say "I love The Bar!"?
Umm... is there a point to that paragraph? While you seem to be talking of... some 18+ commercial on a swingers' bar, Suzanne Collins is talking about propoganda ads for a fucking REBELLION. A revolution. A war. So while you're talking about looking pretty for the cameras, other readers are focusing on the serious stuff.

"And oh, the fight scenes. Most of them are just rehash of the previous 2 books. There is nothing new. Some of them even corny."
Except for the pods... Peeta trying to kill Katniss...the fact they're actually out of the games... the fact they're fighting for cameras instead of in combat... the fact they're in the freaking Capitol undercover and watching real citizens killed... the fact that - oh wait, everything.

"The mutts remind me of zombies or the souls in the purgatory."
That's nice. They remind me of scientifically "enhanced" animals designed by the capitol to not only kill but unhinge.

"The holo reminds me of the candidate Noynoy Aquino suddenly incarnating on the floor of ABS-CBN's TV Patrol."
Why don't you just say the concept of war reminds you of Forrest Gump and the fact that it's Dystopian and has romance reminds you of countless other YA fiction novels out there...

"Morphing is just too ridiculous to have some believability."
Whoa, Whoa... there's morphing? Where? Are we on the same book here? Or did you mean MORPHLING, and entirely different thing? I don't understand how those hopelessly addicted to drugs that mask their pain is unbelievable!

"There was no prep team then and the idea of young children killing each other really surprised me."
Uh... there was a prep team... you know... the same ones that are in the entire trilogy?

"pp. 268 "He grins. "No. Not unless you want me to alert the rest of the army."
I fail to recognise what is wrong with that sentence. The male grins. He says "No. Not unless you want me to alert the rest of the army."

"What kind of name is Leeg? Do you know that in the Philippines, it means "neck"?"
Leeg is a dutch name which according to Wiktionary means 'empty, hollow'. And my friends name means 'between the boulders', are you gonna rat her out on that?

"Also, Flavius, Octavia and Venia (your disgusting prep team"
Could you kindly tell me why they are disgusting. I honestly don't understand you.

"...remind me of a female genitalia. Too feminine. Too distracting."
'A' female genitalia? There's more than one, now?
How the hell are they anything like that. They're from the Capital where they're pampered up, you'd escape their train of thought to be very different.

Julie K.D. great review ^^, especially your description of Katniss "haba ng hair" lol

Kwesi 章英狮 One thing I've discovered in GR that I really hate, haters used there dummy accounts as if there post and arguments were as dummy as they are. Useless.

message 29: by Rusiko (new)

Rusiko i completely agree with everything you wrote. I as well found some mistakes one of the dumber ones i think was... remember when katniss took off her blue dress on the train leaving the pin on it... then before shes about to go in the arena cinna gives it to her. She asks where he got it and he replys that he got it off the green dress -.-

message 30: by Victoria (last edited Dec 22, 2010 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria Joyzi is *Team Adrian* wrote: "Wahaha I know Leeg is an awful2x name, I also hate the name Castor, like what's this? like Castor oil, give me a break"

castor and pollux are a pair of brothers from greek and roman mythology...

hmm i can't say i agree with your review

i don't really see what's wrong with using "materialized" i mean, it may not exactly fit the definition, but you know americans don't really use words correctly colloquially anyways - it's quite common for people to say someone materialized out of nowhere - this is a population where one person knowing how to correctly use their, there, and they're is quite a big deal...

and i don't see how the "not unless" part is wrong? i guess this goes along with colloquial speech cause i see nothing wrong with it
if you're so picky about her grammar, then i don't see why you aren't including her lack of commas between independent clauses or her phrases, so i really don't see the need to comment on grammar
and besides, all books are riddled with grammar mistakes - there are proofreaders but like every author says, they can't catch everything
i noticed that they didn't put a space between a period and the first word of the next sentence and in catching fire she might have used aggravating wrong at one point, but i'm not complaining about it

and i don't really think any of the names were ridiculous at all - this comment just kind of reminds me of my mom complaining about how she can't remember the names of the many many characters in Lord of the Rings but i guess that's the way many would feel if english were their second language =\ because i have no trouble differentiating Fulvia* (not Fluvia) and Flavius - you'd probably hate Lord of the Rings then with all the similar names...
leeg 1 and leeg 2 is probably referring to the fact that both of their last names are leeg - at least that's what i got out of it since they call everyone by their last names and i'm pretty sure Collins wasn't thinking about what the names meant in different languages let alone tagalog

...and uh, i didn't really see any of the possibilities of her being with any other characters besides peeta or gale - if you really thought that there would be any chance of her being with Darius or Finnick then you obviously don't really understand Katniss as a character....

you're entitled to your own opinions of course, but it seems most of reasons you gave it a low grade don't really make sense =\ i didn't enjoy it much myself but i wouldn't call it truly awful

Sarah I enjoyed reading your review :) I especially like the part where you mention leeg means neck in the Phil.

Joyzi @Sarah si KD din magaling din mag review yan

Sarah Haha. oo nakakatawa. Nakakagulat ka Joyzi. :))

Joyzi Lols wag ka naman magulat ahahaha

Julie hahaha natawa ako sa inyong dalawa XD

Joyzi lol haha parang The Grudge ang dating ko dito e nakakagulat lol

Sarah Joke lang yun Joyzi! :D

Joyzi haha I know no worries

Julie hahaha! sadako naman para girl LoL

Joyzi haha oo nga sadako paroon

Julie wahahaha! LoL that was effective! XD

Jeneroso hahah..hilaroius but true..

Joyzi ung pagiging sadako ko?

Jeneroso hahah! hindi, ung review
natawa ako sa sadako paroon..lol

Joyzi aaaah akala ko sa comment ko haha, bopols hehe

Tintin Materialize as a verb isn't strange. I've seen it often and use it myself. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictio...

message 47: by butter be scotch (new)

butter be scotch I'm soooo loving you! I love your liberty in expressing the crapiness of the book.

You are and we are right to expect something big in this third book since the first book and second is somehow epic. I can't help laughing at the comments and the review. Truly the book 3 is disappointing. Seriously.

PS: Not to mention, how does Katniss gets the energy despite the sleepless nights. It doesn't make sense. Also, it is stupid to send Katniss in the mission when you a whole fleet of hover craft or 12 district to fight the capitol. It is infuriating that Katniss, after some adventure, just got knocked out and woke up in the hospital and narrate the whole thing. (C'mon Collins that happened in Book 1 and Book 2!. You can't feed us with the same trick now and then.) Also, WTH, the mystery is not solved. Is Katniss have gone hysterical? Killing Snow? and It was without reason! No background. Since when did this book became a mystery? Grrrr! I hate that I have to set aside my whole saturday and end up getting disappointed at 11:30pm! Man!!!!!!) Please I need to read some FANFIC story. Besides the last few chapters seems like OUT OF CHARACTER. It seems like Collins is not the one writing. It became so abstract. Damn!!!!

PPS: Thanks K.D. I feel better now!

message 48: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely :)

Levine Totally agree on Marketing part, it was more like Introduction into Military Marketing and War PR. I do not find this book anything for teen reads, it is too violent, too disturbing, so simply if instead of using F* word, and having main chatracter >18, this is still has a lot of message in it which due to the fact of being adressed, but to be honest, the end is realistic. therefore it makes sense, though I wish it made me happier :(

message 50: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Levine: It actually made me happier. Katniss ended up with Peeta. Oh, if I still remembering it right. :)

« previous 1