Jim's Reviews > Rules

Rules by Cynthia Lord

2193587
Oct 04, 10

Read from August 24 to September 30, 2010

Rules, by author Cynthia Lord, is a touching look at the life of a young girl, Catherine, who's coping with the conflicting emotions of living with her autistic brother, David. And I was coping with the conflicting emotions of annoyance and boredom of reading this book.

Catherine, a normal 12 year old girl, has a huge role and responsibility in the care-taking of her autistic brother, David. Catherine must balance the love and the responsibility she feels for David with the embarrassment and resentment that comes along with having a family member with autism. To help David, Catherine has written a set of 'rules' that he must follow in order to help him keep his anxiety under control, and to keep him in check in social situations. At one of David's therapy sessions Catherine meets a non-speaking boy in a wheelchair named Jason, and takes a sympathetic liking to him. She helps Jason build a vocabulary of index cards with words that he can point to and help him express his thoughts. But when Jason asks Catherine to a summer dance she is torn between showing him friendship and embarrassing herself in front of her new friend, Kris. Catherine is faced with a moral decision between what type of person she wants to be. And honestly, I didn't care much by the end of the story.

Rules has some great and touching moments and does a pretty good job at showing the conflict siblings must feel having a family member with a disability. At first the story took on the feel of an overly-dramatic teenage brat who wanted everyone to feel sorry for her. But as I kept reading I decided it was an honest look at what people actually go through. But Lord's annoying style of writing in 1st person present tense and her propensity of inventing not-so-clever-overly-hyphenated-but-extremely-distracting adjectives really got on my nerves. I think this book has merit, but it is going to be put on my almost-good-but-somehow-manages-to-bore-the-crap-out-of-me shelf.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules.

Melissa How can i read the book on a ipod

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Melissa wrote: "How can i read the book on a ipod"

I would suggest checking Amazon.com and seeing if they have a version for your ipod.

Audrey I loved this book, but at the same time, I didn't like the main character, because of how hesitant she was, so I agree with you on that. The book was honestly, inspiring to me, but then Catherine kind of ruined it.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Audrey wrote: "I loved this book, but at the same time, I didn't like the main character, because of how hesitant she was, so I agree with you on that. The book was honestly, inspiring to me, but then Catherine k..."

I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. I thought Cynthia Lord came up with a solid story, but her actual writing style got on my nerves. And yes, Catherine was a flake.

Prin Blake Why are you copying people?

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Prin wrote: "Why are you copying people?"

Well, Prin that's such a very valid question. By "copying people" I assume you are referring to what is widely known as quoting. I'll explain this to you like you're young and don't know anything. Do you see that little link that says 'reply' to the bottom right of my post? Well, that's how you reply to my post. Click on it. You'll have loads of fun and you just might learn something, too. Now, run along.