Nathaniel Mathews's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: humor, kindle-spawn

Terry Pratchett is brilliant, and this is no exception. His dry wit is pervasive throughout the book. It had me laughing out loud with every sentence (which, since I was reading at about two o'clock in the morning, was a bit dangerous), and the humor was more than enough for me to disregard any negative aspects of the book. Of these, there were two, and they were large. The first was that one of the main characters, Granny, is simply not particularly likable. Her ideas are generally stupid, and yet Pratchett bends the rules to make them seem reasonable in the situation. She underestimates people, and then her assumptions prove correct. I hate it when that happens in books. The second problem with this book was that it had a sucky plot. It simply wasn't very interesting! Usually with Terry Pratchett, it's a hilarious concept made even better by funny turns of phrase. In this, however, the turns of phrase desperately attempted to conceal the fact that the story itself wasn't very funny. So there you are. Equal Rites, by the funniest, smartest, most tragic man ever to have lived.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.