Lydia Presley's Reviews > Troubled Waters

Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn

Nov 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, favorites, fiction
Read from November 15 to 17, 2010

I love Sharon Shinn. This book is exactly why I love her. The religious system (not overpowering, but perfect) was a bit hard to get at first and I spent some time flipping back to the chart at the start of the book, but it wasn't overwhelming either. The word-building was convincing and fun to explore, characters were filled with spirit, were likeable (or unlikeable depending on who they were) and the storyline built and developed more tension as the book progressed. All that means.. one solid read from Sharon Shinn.

Zoe is a daughter of a fire (sweela) man and a water (coru) woman. Fire and water don't normally mix, but they mix well in Zoe, possessed of spirit filled with fire and a love of change, like shifting water. Her story starts simply, the death of a loved one, the life of an exile - but then something extraordinary happens to this ordinary girl ... the king chooses her to be his fifth wife. And off the story goes.

Filled with twists and turns, a touch of romance and quite a bit of excitement this is one of the most fun fantasy books I've picked up this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troubled Waters.