AH's Reviews > Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: zzread-oct-2010, were, witches, urban-fantasy, book-challenge, first-in-series, favorites
Recommended for: Werewolf lovers
Read from October 26 to 28, 2010, read count: 1

Before you read this book, it is highly recommended that you read the short story Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf or On the Prowl. Otherwise, it will feel like three chapters are missing at the beginning of the book.

I think I am in love with Patricia Briggs’ world of werewolves. Ms. Briggs not only gives us original werewolf lore but she also puts the reader inside their minds. We get a glimpse of the constant battle for control over the animal instincts of the wolf. The author also weaves in some Native American magic into her wolf lore. The novel is set in Montana and the majestic wilderness of the Cabinet Mountains, a great playground for the werewolves.

I fell in love with Charles Cornick when I read On the Prowl. Charles is part Native American, part werewolf. He is magical, sexy, and deadly. Charles is Bran’s son, and the pack enforcer. Charles’ wolf or Brother Wolf as he refers to him, falls immediately for Anna and his protective instincts are dominant. Anna is a special type of wolf-- an Omega, a type of wolf that can calm other wolves. The Omega does not have to obey the Alpha wolf. Omegas are extremely rare and special.

Anna is damaged goods. Forced to become a werewolf against her wishes, she was subjected to horrifying abuse. Anna is a survivor and she proves to be brave, strong, and resourceful despite her hardships. Anna is also a very likable character. Charles and Anna are perfect for each other. It’s actually a very sweet love story. The inner wolves chose each other as mates before their human selves were aware.

The secondary characters make this story come to life. Asil is an old wolf, and he is very mysterious. I love how his past is slowly revealed.

I first “met” Bran when I read the first two Mercy books. Bran is a multi-dimensional character. He is the head of all the wolves and is very powerful, though at first glance, he does not seem to be so authoritarian. Bran chose to be in a loveless relationship because he did not want to lose another love again. I really wish Bran would get his own book.

I hope to get to the next book Hunting Groundsoon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.

10/26/2010 page 53

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH While I was writing the review, I googled the Cabinet mountains. They really are spectacular. What a great place for a were to roam.

message 2: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review AH!! Have you seen the animated movie called Alpha and Omega?

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I thought the animated movie had nothing to do with this series?

message 4: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Oh! So the animated movie is something different? I haven't read this book or seen the movie yet, so I wasn't sure if these were connected to each other, but this book sounds pretty interesting!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH They seem very different, even have different writers.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Oh! Have you seen the movie yet?

message 7: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Great review! I'm so glad that you ended up loving this one too. I'm dying waiting for the third book to come out.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I adored this book, AH. Glad you loved it too!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks Catherine and Danielle. I'm pacing myself through this series and Mercy so I won't have to wait for more books.

Ronyell - Haven't seen the movie - I try to avoid animated movies now that the kids are bigger. When it came out, I was all excited, then I looked at the synopsis on IMDB and it wasn't the same. Too bad, it would make a great movie.

Regina So funny that there is a movie -- I hadn't heard of it/one! But I am not a big fan of animation ...... I love this series, love the view from the other side (rather than the focus of the Mercy Thompson books -- which I do like too). Charles is a great character.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Regina. The movie had nothing to do with Briggs' Alpha and Omega. Different writers, everything different. I don't think they were even werewolves in the movie.

Regina Oh -- thank you for explaining!

Greta is Erikasbuddy I have yet to read the Novella but it's on my list :)

Good review!! Now quit adding to my TBR pile lolz!! It sounds way way cool!!

And you know how I love those wolves!!

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. Look up the Cabinet mountains on google. They are spectacular. I can almost see those wolves running around those hills.

message 15: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell AH wrote: "Thanks Catherine and Danielle. I'm pacing myself through this series and Mercy so I won't have to wait for more books.

yeah, this definitely sounds like it would make a great movie! :D

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Hmmm, who would we cast as Charles? Bran? Anna? The possibilities are endless.

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "Thanks, Greta. Look up the Cabinet mountains on google. They are spectacular. I can almost see those wolves running around those hills."

Nice!! I soo can see it too!! I really need to read what you sent me. U've got me mondo excited. Perhaps a wolf book I can sink my teeth into :)<

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Wolf books are good.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Very very :) I love having something to howl at :)

Galla I keep putting this book off because everyone says it's important to read the novella first, and then I go look at the novella and think, "Man, I really don't want to pay 7.99 for an anthology when only one of the stories interests me." Maybe I'll have to see if my library has it or something.

Galla Ahh--thanks, Danielle! I didn't see that it was available separately.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) You're welcome. I'm glad she did release it as an ebook.

message 24: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Danielle for the info.

message 26: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom could I read this before reading Mercy Thompson series?

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Tom wrote: "could I read this before reading Mercy Thompson series?"

Yes, you could - I would suggest reading maybe the first few Mercy Books before you continue with the next Alpha & Omega world - they are companion series and the characters appear in both series.

message 28: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom AH wrote: "Tom wrote: "could I read this before reading Mercy Thompson series?"

Okay thanks!