Jayna's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2392136
's review
Aug 27, 10


** spoiler alert ** SPOILERS!!!
*******************

Ugh. I was just thankful that I decided to be grown-up and not wait until midnight to get this book and then stay up all night reading it. I kindled it early this morning and ignored my kids for 4 hours and got through it. This book makes you realize how much the storyline in the first two depended upon the tension created by the love triangle. In Mockingjay, the author robs her readers of what they (I) crave! By the end, everything is so messed up that Peeta vs. Gale became "OH snap. Who even cares anymore?" I couldn't help but be disappointed--it was so violent, everyone dies (I CANNOT forgive Collins for taking away both Finnick and Prim!!) and even though there is a nicely packaged epilogue, I wanted more...EXPECTED more out of this final installment. I have to chalk this work up to "Twilight Syndrome"...gifted authors with an original page-turning first book, followed by hurried, increasingly poorly written and thought-out sequels.

Bottom line: You have to read it, but don't spend money on it- wait and borrow it from your friend. And then fondly recall the excellence of the first book.
275 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Woof Could not agree more, by the end I didn't care anymore. I just wanted to close the book and re-read the first one. I'm glad I'm not the only one


Nicole I thought I would be the only one who gave it two stars. I totally agree.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow...obviously you missed the entire message of this book.


Andrew I agree with this review. I thought that she rushed the ending... this is a spoiler by the way... and how at the end it's like, 'hm, I guess we should just send Gale off somewhere else and say 'okay. I choose peeta." Lissette, the message of the book??? There was tons of message about rebelling against the capitol and not giving up on Peeta and things like that, but she didn't pull through with it. For instance, the main character didn't DO anything, the group with the main characters that you were sure was going to go and beat Snow ended up all dying. Except three, who got there just in time to see Coin win the war withing a page or two. I was disappointed because the other books were so good.


message 5: by Jayna (last edited Aug 25, 2010 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jayna I was under the impression that there are multiple "points" to be gathered from each and every book, unique to the individual reader. How disappointing for me to discover that there was only ONE point in Mockingjay, and that I apparently MISSED it! :)
I love goodreads- this is so much fun to have book club discussions with strangers in the middle of my day! And Collins does deserve much acclaim for her excellent and original ideas. Lissette, glad this was a satisfying conclusion to the series for you.


message 6: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea I completely disagree with you. I think you wanted romance and happily ever after. The book is not romance. It's about war. I think the first two books did not express the cruelty that Panem represents. Mockingjay was an amazing young adult book (an amazing book period actually). It was a book about revolution and death. There can be no neatly wrapped happy ending. I applaud Suzanne Collins for knowing that the story is more important than reception.


Connie Faull I gave this book 4 stars, but I did so because if I didn't think it was good I wouldn't have finished reading it in 2 days.

However, I was so conflicted because, like you I was disappointed in how she ended it. I also agree that the ending felt so rushed and I didn't see the point of some things in the book. But mostly, I wanted Katniss and Gale to be together, but I saw she was steering the story to end with Peeta. Although I liked Katniss's explanation and it made total sense.


Martha I completely agree with you. I was hoping to see how Katniss realizes she's in love with Peeta. Ugh, just so disappointing. I definitely won't be rereading this book.


message 9: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea I think she does realize she is in love with Peeta. She is forced to realize this when he doesn't know he loves her. She has to help him remember and thereby makes an active decision (instead of the indifference she had through the other books).


Sally I also disagree with this review. Someone as emotionally damaged as Katniss cannot have a happily ever after. She's loved and lost too many times. What she can have is "as happy as real life gets." The first two books were never about romance either. That was always just another problem for her to deal with, another conflict to get through.

But if all you're looking for was romance, go back to Twilight's soap-opera. Not saying it in a mean way. This book is more like Maze Runner, War of the Worlds, 1985. It's like The Empire Strikes Back. Lord of the Rings. Anyway. I'm really pleased with it. :-)


Carrie I agree wholeheartedly. The Gale vs Peeta love triangle seems to have disintegrated by the end. The romance with Peeta was way too much of a plot point throughout these books to be ignored - and the love triangle Collins teased was dropped so easily at the end. And Katniss was so alone - everyone seemed to care (more than realistically expected) about Katniss and her feelings throughout this series, hiding details from her, etc, but when she is torn up and numb they leave her?
I have such a hard time picturing this as a YA book. What age group is YA anyway? I have a hard time as a 30 year old "adult" handling the torture scenes and death.
So much carnage - Finnick and his Annie reunite - only to kill off Finnick. And why in the world of this book would Prim ever be allowed on the front freakin' lines? They didn't even want Katniss on the front lines - why is her sister there?
I understand Collins created a brutal world - and that world at war would be even worse on the body count - therefore I can't truly point out that this or that person should have lived. But that doesn't keep me from being a little disgusted.


Shaun Hutchinson Carrie wrote: "I agree wholeheartedly. The Gale vs Peeta love triangle seems to have disintegrated by the end. The romance with Peeta was way too much of a plot point throughout these books to be ignored - and th..."

I think you missed the point of Prim. Coin put Prim on the front lines to die because she knew that would incapacitate Katniss, and she needed Katniss out of the way to consolidate power.

This book was never about the love triangle, but If you understood Gale, then it was clear that Katniss could never be with him. He designed the trap that killed the people in the Nut and the bombs that killed Prim. He was a rebel devoted to the cause and Katniss could never be with someone that cold hearted. She had to be with Peeta because he offered her something she's never had: comfort and protection.

It's cool if people don't like it though, but the focus of the story was never the love triangle.


Viola Jayna, I completely agree with you. I'm glad I'm not alone here. You can read my review. I wrote it before reading any others because I didn't want to be swayed, but clearly I was mad!


Heather I have to say I was surprised by your comment "everyone dies." Really, many of the major characters - Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Haymitch - get out of the book alive. I think it made sense that some of the main characters had to die. This was a war, after all. It wouldn't have made sense if everyone just walked away, free and clear (since you mentioned Twilight, I will go ahead and say - like what happened in Breaking Dawn. That made NO sense. She spends hundreds of pages leading up to worrying about a huge fight, and then the evil vampires come and just back off? Very out of character.)

I also think Katniss took her time in coming to terms with her love for Peeta and her relationship with Gale falling apart. Throughout the book, you see her clutching the pearl, and although she doesn't confront Peeta directly right away, I think her actions spoke the loudest. Meanwhile, she and Gale seemed on edge the whole time. I thought it made sense (and I don't think the love story was the central plot - more of a subplot.)

That being said, I totally respect your opinion, and I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the book. I'm just planning on writing a spoiler-free review so I wanted to comment on someone else's review.


Christianne Shaun wrote: "It's cool if people don't like it though, but the focus of the story was never the love triangle."

I think your comment is spot on Shaun. The romance is a nice addition to the story. Collins probably knows that romance will drive readership. But this book was about power, justice, and compassion. The characters were wonderful; their decisions and actions consistent throughout the book. I can't see why people who read the first two books wouldn't love this one.


Shaun Hutchinson Christianne wrote: "Shaun wrote: "It's cool if people don't like it though, but the focus of the story was never the love triangle."

I think your comment is spot on Shaun. The romance is a nice addition to the story...."


I honestly think it's hard to love book three because it holds a mirror up to all the worst parts of ourselves. Because there's no real happy ending, there's no catharsis. For three books, we've had it shoved in our faces that humans are brutal, cruel, petty, and mean. A happy ending would mean letting ourselves off the hook. It would mean we could tell ourselves that it all works out in the end. But sadly, it doesn't all work out in the end for Katniss the same way it doesn't all work out in the end in real life. And I think that's why some people are bummed out. I felt like the ending was realistic and true and perfect. But it's also a tough pill to swallow. You walk away with only the seeds of hope but with no real redemption. No one is absolved of their sins in the book and that makes it tougher for readers to absolve themselves of their own sins. Collins' message is tough. Humans are a stupid, ridiculous species that probably doesn't deserve to live but her hope, and our hope, is that we learn our lessons before we obliterate ourselves.


Annika Paxman The end was very rushed and I felt a bit unresolved, but I explain more thoughts in my review. I gave it 4 stars because I still think she did a fantastic job writing it....until the end. I didn't quite care who she ended up with, just curious how Collins would pull it off, and I wasn't impressed.


Simeon Lissette wrote: "Wow...obviously you missed the entire message of this book."

Lol. You're so sad. Truly, truly sad.


Jolyn Totally agree with you!! Awesome review.. I tried to say something similar in my review put was just too pissed off so I'm glad you did!! Perfect review :)


Truthic Andrew wrote: "I agree with this review. I thought that she rushed the ending... this is a spoiler by the way... and how at the end it's like, 'hm, I guess we should just send Gale off somewhere else and say 'oka..."

Yeah. I was expecting the group to actually reach Snow. Kill him? Maybe not. But reach him, yes definately. When that didn't happen, it felt like all those deaths in the group were in vain.


message 21: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Wow, what u said in this review pretty much sums up exactly how I felt about this book.


Heather B How can you end with a broken pathetic main character? I agree that the parts of the story we were hoping to be resolved were just thrown in there. Snow, Peeta vs Gale and her getting her life back. Couldn't she have just, you know, picked one to resolve nicely?


Karenpetersen26 Same!!! I can't believe she ruined this book.... It could of been so great and she ruined it!!! She ruined Peeta, I mean it would of been ok for 20 pages.... But no connection what so ever!!! I can't believe I even it 2 stars!!! Everyone dies.... the ends is she like 5 years old?


Karenpetersen26 Yeahiknow3 wrote: "Lissette wrote: "Wow...obviously you missed the entire message of this book."

Lol. You're so sad. Truly, truly sad."


And the message is ????? (Don't write a stipid book)


Christopher "It's cool if people don't like it though, but the focus of the story was never the love triangle."

Um, did you read the first and second books? I didn't care about Gale vs. Peeta vs. Katniss, but Catching Fire was hideous precisely because of its focus on the love triangle. C'mon.


message 26: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt I found this book to be pretty good, and I did not much care for the love triangle aspect. I would agree that the way the love triangle ended, it was pretty tepid. He's in another district 'doing stuff'

I think the outcome was consistent with the characters she'd created though.


Denae AGREE: How could Collins kill off Prim? She's the one who started the whole thing. Finnick's death was bearable, but Prim's was just unecessarily cruel.
I didn't mind that the love triangle had virtually disappeared (we expected that when Peeta was taken hostage), but I was disappointed that Katniss did nothing significant through the whole book (except shoot Coin).
I do think it was well written and believable, so I gave it a 3.


Sarah Shaun wrote: "Christianne wrote: "Shaun wrote: "It's cool if people don't like it though, but the focus of the story was never the love triangle."

I think your comment is spot on Shaun. The romance is a nice ad..."


That's what I'm talking about!


Dannielle Buckley I totally agree and I'm glad I'm not the only one.


Jamissmile I agree with Sally. These books were never really about the romance. It was so extremely frustrating to me that anyone would expect a girl that young to pick the one and only love of her life at such a young age. I hated that the boys pushed so hard on her to choose. She was too young to worry about things like marriage, babies, a war. That was the point that should have been made


Gellie I came to respect Suzanne Collins more because of Mockingjay. She wasn't afraid to stay true to life and to herself even if it meant that a lot of her fans would be disappointed. To be honest, I think I would've liked the book less if Finnick and the other didn't die and not because I hate them. I actually adore Finnick, Prim and Boggs. They’re deaths weren’t in vain as it seems because it sends the audience a deeper message. Prim's and Bogg's death represented the thousands of innocent lives that are taken in war. While Finnick's symbolized any soldier at the same time father/husband that never made it back home to their family. It's heartbreaking but realistic. That's what Suzanne wanted to go for. So that the readers/ the next generation may realize that war does not do any good and thus preventing it from happening. THAT IS ONE OF THE MANY MESSAGES. The love triangle was nicely played out for me. I disagree that she chose Peeta just because he was the only one left. From the very beginning, it was shown that Katniss indeed needs Peeta. She broke down every so often because of him; she missed him, she needed him because no one else seemed to understand her. Not even Gale and that's why they argued a lot. You could see them drifting apart. Prim's death only made it more final. I mean I would be unforgiving too if the person right in front of me planned the trap that killed your sister. We all know Katniss loved Prim very much. Katniss isn’t perfect nor is she the heroine type that always does the right thing like forgiving someone. She is just like us who has flaws and grudges. Peeta's hijacking coincided with the theme of the story- In a war, no one is left undamaged even the kindest people. I never thought it was possible but I loved Peeta even more when he was hijacked because even though he was hijacked he managed to fight it and regain himself. Even if he didn’t trust Katniss, he still saved her from killing herself. That makes him strong. Broken pieces can still be made whole but there will be cracks in it that can never disappear. That's true to Peeta and Katniss- two broken people. I admit the ending seemed rushed to me too but I think that's because healing takes time. If she were to write their rehabilitation time, the book would probably be a thousand pages more. Also, I think she didn't write it in detail because our imaginations are supposed to fill the gaps left. In short, this isn't a book meant for fairytale endings and I loved it. It’s a pity you didn’t like it but I respect your opinion as I hope you will respect my opinions too.


Gellie Oh I forgot, Katniss was clearly depressed about the deaths of the members of her squad as she took the time to mention them. She simply didn't have the time to mourn for them because the living needs her to be sane. It also possible that she had no more tears to shed because of all the things she lost. Finnick's death was sudden but that's just how it is when in battle. Not everyone's death is epic. They had a mission to complete under pressure/stress. :)


Amber Taylor it was almost the opposite of twilight syndrome for me, breaking dawn was this overly neat, nothing goes wrong book so that all of her characters can be happily ever after. Collins wrote the finale like this "everybody dies, get over it." unacceptable, if i wanted to read that i can read the newspaper. i agree with your review.


message 34: by Perry (new) - rated it 1 star

Perry My thoughts exactly!


message 35: by Molly (new) - rated it 1 star

Molly Absolutely. No one cares that Katniss is sad. She's not the only one to lose a love to the capitol by any means.
I really loved Cinna, but he never was fleshed out, and for that I'm pretty mad. Same with the Avox girl, Bonnie and whoever her friend was, and about a jillion other minor characters...
Mockingjay was just so disappointing.


message 36: by Molly (new) - rated it 1 star

Molly BumbleBee wrote: "I completely disagree with you. I think you wanted romance and happily ever after. The book is not romance. It's about war. I think the first two books did not express the cruelty that Panem repres..."

Funnily enough, I think the last book was even more about romance than the first two. I wanted to see Katniss get up on her hind legs and fight back. I wanted MORE war in the last book. Instead, Katniss becomes a pathetic mess who doesn't do anything to protect her people.


Melanie I agree with this review. The third book could have been so much better.


message 38: by Avery (new)

Avery Park I agree! The first book blew my mind away and I was so excited to read the second and the third book. But sadly... The series started going downhill near the middle of the second book :( It could have been better


message 39: by Raji (new)

Raji the boy in the epilogue is the one she dreamt about in book 2.


Cherie Marks I was so disappointed with this book after the first two. Felt rushed, as if the author lost her way. I understand all aspects of the story its just a really dumb way to end! I hope that the film corrects the ending. I too was team Gale.


Alicia Hamer I just finishes it, I to was extremely disappointed. The first half was just too slow and the ending was obviously rushed...


message 42: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Could not agree more! It seemed like she was halfway through the writing the book, then just gave up. She spent one little paragraph on the second to last page to tell us who she picked. Not a whole chapter. One SMALL paragraph! I think Collins' fans deserve more then that! Plus it just felt like she settled for him. I hate that she just wrapped it up. I'm hoping the movie could do a better job.


Stephanie Richardson I love this book I would recommend this to every person I know but what I don't get is why would they kill people for having hope? The mocking Jay is an amazing symbol it is just so majestic and beautiful I would love to have one of those birds.


Ashleigh Sheppard I 100% agree with this review. It was like Collins realised that she had a deadline to hand the script in and just rushed the last few chapters, bypassing all the buildup and character development of the first two books. Such a shame as Katniss had the potential to be a great heroine, regardless of the love triangle, but instead she just becomes a shell of who she was and only gets 'better' over the last two pages of the book


James Apprently Suzanne Collins regrets killing Finnik so he won't die in the movie. Not this maybe false information but am not sure.


Nancy Very big regret. Authors should re-read, re-read and re-read some more before finally publishing their novel. It'll reduce all the disappointment flying their way.


Lucianne I freakin died when prim was blown up. After that the rest of the book was a big blur because I was crying especially when finnick died ugh I almost threw my phone into a freakin wall


message 48: by Lia (new) - added it

Lia B. NOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE KILLED FINNICK HOW COULD SHE! For me, waiting for Finnick to have a happy endinfg with Annie was close to the sole point of reading Mockingjay. I do agree with the symbolism someone pointed out, about Finnick being the metaphorical husband, never to return to his new wife and kids et cetera, but honestly I could have strangled Suzanne Collins.


back to top