Eris's Reviews > There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales

There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby by Lyudmila Petrushevskaya

Aug 24, 10

Recommended for: fans of Kafka, lovers of the macabre short story
Read in August, 2010

If you enjoy the morbid short story and the general flavor of Russian writing, this is a good collection for you. The stories may seem clipped at times, terse and to the point - other times they ramble on and on about details that may seem unimportant but those are the heady stock in the soup and without them the meat and potatoes have no flavor. Many of the quirks of russian writing are present, excepting the need to produce extremely long sentences.

I would say that fans of the work of Roald Dahl's adult pieces may find some attraction in this. A slight difference, rather than the bad guy always getting his comeuppance often the bad guy is saved even if you don't feel he/she deserved that second chance.

Rather dark, terse and to the point. I enjoyed this volume, and though I meant to read only one or two stories a day I found myself unable to stop as I was so curious what situation she would put the next hapless victims into.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby.