Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > What the Night Knows

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz

Apr 11, 15

bookshelves: group-reads, read-in-2011, challenge, read-in-2015, spring-2015
Read from March 15 to 25, 2015 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Four years later I read this book again with an open mind and actually enjoyed the story. It is always interesting to see how books affect us at different times in our lives.

What the Night Knows is written well and is very creepy. This will never be among my favorite Dean Koontz books, but it no longer ranks alongside Your Heart Belongs to Me as the worst of Dean Koontz's books. The children lighten and liven the story and I love the fantasy world element. The one thing that stands out to me the most in both of my times reading is the use of art/paintings throughout the novel and the significance that they have in the story.

From first reading 2010/2011:
A Horrible Disappointment :-( Maybe you'll like it, but I didn't. Koontz has told similar tales in different books, but I don't think he's ever told the same story over and over in the same book - in this case in the form of a serial killer who just won't die. Bantam marketing team promotes What The Night Knows as: "...a ghost story like no other you have read" and claims "Of all his acclaimed novels, none exceeds What the Night Knows in power, in chilling suspense, and in sheer mesmerizing storytelling." Pig Fat! I'm a huge fan of Dean Koontz and this is certainly not his best - it ranks among my very least of least favorites - almost as bad as Your Heart Belongs to Me.

Want to know what the night knows? Here it is (don't worry this huge revelation will not ruin the story for you in any way):
Everyone was born to die. Sex was death. Death was sex. Being a predator was better than being prey. Hell must exist because there was an urgent and abiding need for it.
- From the journal of Alton Turner Blackwood in chapter 48 of What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz.

but luckily.... "What the heart knows trumps what the night knows." The End.

I enjoyed reading the ebook novella,Darkness Under the Sun by Dean Koontz which was released two months prior to What The Night Knows. The Novella featured Blackwood and is a short, inexpensive read.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Night Knows.

Quotes Dustin Crazy little brown owl Liked

Dean Koontz
“...he dreamed of being director of the FBI instead of attorney general. Considering some of the unsavory characters who had held the latter post, Milo didn't have the credentials for it.”
Dean Koontz, Relentless

01/03 page 93
03/08 marked as: to-read
03/26 marked as: currently-reading
04/11 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I just bought a copy -- wish I'd seen your review first. :)

message 2: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie Good to know, now I don't feel so bad having to wait to buy my copy.

Christian almost done with it...thank goodness. it drones on and on and on...sorry I actually paid money for it.

Maciek I agree Dustin, this was a very disappointing effort.

Maicie Pig Fat, indeed!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne See Dustin, I knew you wouldn't like it. I was majorly disappointed. Good thing I got an advanced copy and didn't have to pay for it!!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Christian Marcus wrote: "almost done with it...thank goodness. it drones on and on and on...sorry I actually paid money for it."

I bought both hardcover and audiobook versions so I could read this right away :-( of course I used 50% off coupons at Borders on both, but still....

Suzanne wrote: "See Dustin, I knew you wouldn't like it. I was majorly disappointed. Good thing I got an advanced copy and didn't have to pay for it!!"

That's not all you got from Dean neither... still jealous but I'm happy for you :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Susan wrote: "I just bought a copy -- wish I'd seen your review first. :)"

Maybe you'll actually like it more than I did - there is a dog character in it for you :-)

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Woof!

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Well it's true that Dean and I are now best buddies. Perhaps I should gently tell him how bad this book is! Then again maybe I won't!! Dustin if I ever get invited to his house again, you can go with me!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Suzanne wrote: "Well it's true that Dean and I are now best buddies. Perhaps I should gently tell him how bad this book is! Then again maybe I won't!! Dustin if I ever get invited to his house again, you can go wi..."

Okay :-) I'm gonna write him a little note because I have moved and am not getting his Useless News (newsletter he sends to anyone who has ever written him via snail mail) but I don't think I'll tell him how disappointed I was with this book, I'll just tell him how anxious I am for his next book.

How is Dean's Dog Anna doing at your house since you brought her back with you? :-)

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne You're a very funny guy Dustin!! My cats are not thrilled!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I was just kidding :-) but you did get to pet her right? and did you hear, see or feel Trixie's enduring spirit? I was curious as to whether her enduring spirit was audible, viewable or just a presence that was felt.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I got to pet her, scratch her tummy etc. No I didn't sense Trixie's spirit, I was too busy, eating and drinking and chatting.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Okay, maybe I'll have to ask Dean himself how her spirit is manifest.

So, have you heard the latest adventures of my huge #2 bookstore chain - doesn't look like they will be buying #1 this year :-) and I'm glad I've got a second job.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Come work for a really great Indie store. We had a really good Christmas season! Come be our token male bookseller!! lol

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Suzanne wrote: "Come work for a really great Indie store. We had a really good Christmas season! Come be our token male bookseller!! lol"

Wish I could, but it's not really a realistic option - I'll just have to daydream about it while I'm working at my other jobs, but if they ever open a store in Colorado, definitely let me know okay?

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I just don't think that's going to happen-sorry!! I think I will have a snow day tomorrow!! Hooray!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Suzanne wrote: "I just don't think that's going to happen-sorry!! I think I will have a snow day tomorrow!! Hooray!"

But maybe they're willing to pay relocation expenses??? :-) What state are you in again?

The Ship I'm sailing on now is sinking.... everyday, I go to work expecting to hear the official news... In October, one of co-workers (in a supervisor position) compared the company to a sinking ship with the mice scampering away to safety. I'm getting scheduled for less hours, we're getting less product in, we can't order in anything.... it's real interesting.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I'm in Connecticut. I had a snow day yesterday! Woo hoo