Nely's Reviews > When the Stars Go Blue

When the Stars Go Blue by Barbara Caridad Ferrer

Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: blog-tour
Read from November 12 to 14, 2010

What originally grabbed my attention when I first heard of When the Stars Go Blue was the fact that the story takes place in Miami. Being a South Floridian all my life I knew that recognizing all the landmarks mentioned throughout the book would make reading this story even more enjoyable.

Aside from the awesome setting, I loved the world of dance depicted in these pages. Soledad breathes and lives... dance - it is her world... and Ms. Ferrer expertly captures the ups and downs that can be associated with it. Soledad was such a passionate, driven, and strong individual. She's the type to live in the moment and when she truly believes in something, she gives it her all. When she's asked by Jonathan to play the part of Carmen as a dancer in his drum and bugle corps she agrees not only for the dancing but also because of her fascination with Jonathan. Their relationship is passionate and very intense but eventually starts crossing over into a place where you know cannot be healthy. Jonathan is jealous and possessive and eventually this takes a toll on their relationship.

This is a retelling of the opera Carmen. It is emotion-packed with very strong and three dimensional characters. The rich descriptions of Soledad's dancing, Jonathan's passion for music and even Taz's love of soccer are so expressive and well done. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the story lagged a little towards the middle, but otherwise, it was very, very good. I was impressed with this retelling of Carmen and can definitely say that Ms. Ferrer did a phenomenal job in revamping and making this story her own... not to mention bringing it to the attention of YA readers. This is a very moving and emotional read - one that will have you laughing at times and crying at others. Don't miss out on it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Stars Go Blue.

message 1: by MisTris (new) - added it

MisTris I'm a Miami girl myself. Aventura area. I wish more books were set here. You would think there would be, it being such a large and popular city, but I feel like I rarely see it.