Jessica's Reviews > The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Laura C. Schlessinger

Jan 21, 08

bookshelves: mbasa-book-club-reads
Read in January, 2008

alright. i just finished this last night, and i'm still a little conflicted as to what i thought about it. if i could i'd probably give it 2 1/2 stars, but i'll admit that i had a definite bias going into reading the book because i can't stand dr. laura.

that being said, i can genuinely say that there were a few good points brought up in the book. namely that wives ought to treat their husbands with the love, honor, and respect they deserve. i also agree with her basic assumption that men and women are different and that their methods of communicating are different as well.

while reading it, i definitely swung back and forth on a pendulum between being absolutely outraged and aggravated with what she suggests (like for instance that is is a women's OBLIGATION to not be tired for her husband at the end of the day) and then on the other side totally agreeing with the points she makes (such as the idea that men are not nearly as complicated as women and that most of the time what they say is exactly what they mean. and that one of the most important things to a man is being able to make his wife happy). i have to say that the book ended with me more on the positive side than the negative side, but overall i don't know if i learned anything groundbreaking in here. it was useful, however, in making me reflect on my own behaviors and attitudes and doing a "self-check" of whether or not i am being selfish in my relationship with my husband.

i'll end by saying that i thought the book was fine enough but i liked "the five love languages" better as a marriage self-help book because of the implication in it that both spouses are responsible for making sure that the other is feeling loved, appreciated and cared for. okay, the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.