Rachel's Reviews > The City of Falling Angels

The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt

Nov 07, 10

Read from August 24 to October 22, 2010

This book was cheap and I liked Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
I enjoyed the first 3/4 and then my motivation to finish it slackened. It was easy enough to finish reading but I read some other stuff in between.

I liked the meandering quality of the storytelling but I think that's why I didn't feel compelled to come right back to it.
The story is ostensibly about the fire that destroyed the Fenice opera house. But, though several times the author returns to that story, he spends plenty of time on things pretty much unrelated.
For all that, who cares?

This is a story about a bunch of people, some odd, who live in Venice. Most of the stories are interesting. The writing is easy and quick. I enjoyed it and I'd probably read Berendt's work again. But Midnight in the Garden of Good and evil was somehow more compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Falling Angels.

08/24/2010 page 239
55.0% "great book so far. A little wandering--it doesn't exactly focus on one event--but I am enjoying the twisty path. I enjoy reading about Venice through little stories about various people in Venice. Better than a history, it is like the extra bits between history."