Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Motherless Daughters: The Legacy Of Loss

Motherless Daughters by Hope Edelman

Aug 11, 07

bookshelves: orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, biography, non-fiction, psychology, gr-a, favorites
Recommended for: daughters who've experienced loss of their mothers, especially before adulthood
Read in June, 1994

I read this book immediately when it was published in hardcover. And it was so special because many of the experiences and feelings written here resonated so strongly with me, and sometimes I was hearing them for the first time from someone other than myself, even though I’d had a friend and some acquaintances who’d experienced loss of a mother during childhood or adolescence. (Led me to join a motherless daughters support group, and some members of our group continued meeting on our own for years, which was a good experience.) This was the first book I read that really addressed the ramifications of losing a mother at a young age by someone who had the experience. It made me feel less alone, and it was an interesting read as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Motherless Daughters.