Tomoaki's Reviews > Dogs and Demons: The Fall of Modern Japan

Dogs and Demons by Alex Kerr

Dec 31, 13

it was ok
Read from August 25, 2010 to December 31, 2013

I believe this book needs to be updated. This book's publication data back to 2001 and he actually wrote this book before that. What he described here in the book is 80s and 90s. Even though most incidents and figures may be correct, still we feel these events were long ago. A lot of situations may be still the same but many other situations have changed dramatically too.
The book shows so many negative side of Japan and those add up when you read through and I felt totally fed up.
Since he does not have any hope for Japan's ability to change, he does not show his ideas for the change. Without any suggestions, I felt he was just whining what he does not like about Japan. It is easy to complain and quibble but difficult to change. He should write his opinion about better future for Japan and with that suggestion, this book will become much better and I want him to update this book with it.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dogs and Demons.

08/26/2010 page 34
8.0% "Just start reading. First portion of books are familiar stories to Japanese people but I am interested in how Mr.Kerr tells what were really happening in Japan to the people in the world."
08/31/2010 page 80
18.0% "A lot of familiar episodes and incidents. Most of those are true but I feel a bit old stories since the book was published about 10 years ago."
09/07/2010 page 139
31.0% "Reading through the book, I become a little bit picky. He wrote the family crest of Tokugawa is paulownia-flower, Kiri, Well, what happened to him? To know answer, please check here. http://bit.ly/d6rSyW"
12/31/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Juha I'm glad you think things are changing in Japan. Do you think that the Fukushima nuclear debacle changed people's minds about the collusion between government "regulators" and big business?