Melindeeloo's Reviews > Sins of the Heart

Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from August 21 to 28, 2010

The Half human son of an Egyptian god, Dagan is a Soul Reaper whose job it is to collect the dark souls which sustain his father. On a hunt, the dispassionate Dagan's interest is stirred by a soon-to-be victim of the ones Dagan is hunting. Dagan admires young Roxy Tam's brave spirit and sassy mouth - even in the face of the danger Roxy doesn't give up - and Roxy awakens something in Dagan which causes him to free her once he's harvested her captors' souls.

The action for the bulk of the story continues 12 years later, with Roxy and Dagan on opposing teams, both seeking the soul of a murdered reaper. Roxy is now a powerful warrior for the goddess Aset, and Roxy's patron and Dagan's father, Sutekh, are enemies. But even with all the time that has passed - and even though Roxy blames Dagan for a transition which has made her more than human - there is still a connection between the pair, and despite the reasons for the enmity between them, they will need to figure out how to work together to find the killer and the answers behind the Reaper's death.

I really enjoyed Sins of the Heart, the first full length novel in Silver’s Otherkin trilogy. I thought all of that all of the different mythological elements (mostly Egyptian) added an interesting flavor to the story. And I really liked both of the leads, warrior Roxy with her sass, who has conflicted feelings for Dagan – she has had steamy dreams about him for years, but can’t decide whether to act on her attraction or cause Dagan grievous harm. And I really like Dagan, who doesn’t realize he is capable of feeling any of the softer emotions but who pursues Roxy with a feral intensity once he finds her again. I also really like the intense loyalty between Dagan and his brothers and I am looking forward to more of the sons of Sutekh when the series continues with Sins of the Soul. If you’re looking for more of the Otherkin while you are waiting for the next of Dagan’s brothers, Silver has a standalone connected short, Sin’s Daughter set in the same world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Heart.