Norain's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Aug 23, 2010

liked it
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

I was never a fan of vampire tales and that is the reason for me rating this book with only three star. But it does not deny the fact that this is an excellent book and it is no wonder that it brought so much influence to this day.

The aspect of psychology in this book interests me most for it is not something I actually expect from such a book. The idea of a thousands-years old criminal with a child-brain intrigued me. One of the issue I found interesting is how Stoker showed that there is no absolute evil in this world - that even the Devil himself (Dracula) did not choose to be a Devil and was at peace when Jonathan and Quincey eliminated him from the face of the earth.

There are so many male characters in this book and very few female ones, but the most important female characters, Lucy Westenra and Mina Harker play very important roles in the story. In many modern adaptations, Dracula and his archenemy Van Helsing were always the ones being brought back to life again and again (as if other characters don’t matter). There was one anime that showed Van Helsing as a handsome and cool young vampire-hunter, armed to the teeth with fully loaded guns. It made me laugh to learn that originally, Van Helsing was an old man armed with years of research and an open mind, instead of assortment of fancy gadgets. Of course he is cool, but in the old-fashioned way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

Cik Aini i used to read this in my school years (tahun 94?) uh saya sangat tua. yes, i like the book too

Norain Buku yang mantap dan berimpak. Memang tak hairan la pengaruh dia kekal. Ada tengok-tengok Twilight sikit. Entah la. Rasa macam jauh panggang dari api je kalau buat perbandingan.