Paula's Reviews > To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York

To Hold the Crown by Jean Plaidy

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: tudor, bought_in_2010, read_in_2010
Read from August 23 to September 06, 2010 — I own a copy

Blech! I soo wanted to like this book, but it was just so poorly written and such a stretch from the truth that I couldn't get into it. I finished it because I have a good streak going of actually reading the group read selections from the Tudor group, but otherwise probably would have been tempted to throw this into the fire this past Labor Day weekend. Who am I kidding, I was tempted, but it goes against every fiber of my being to burn a book!

The plot was weak - there basically wasn't one, actually, as it was just a chronicle of the reign of Henry VII with little to no character depth, poor use of facts, a complete lack of editing, and the continual shift in perspective lent to a feeling of the book being disjointed and unorganized.

The cover advertises this as a spectacular blend between history, romance and drama. History? Barely. Romance? Between whom? Drama? Umm...no.

There were so many typos, grammatical errors, and an overuse of elipses that I am having a hard time even commenting on the material. Considering the ranking I gave this book, perhaps I've said enough already :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Hold the Crown.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (new)

SarahC I so appreciate this kind of review. There is such a massive amount of historical fiction out there and I often find it lacking also. It helps to have reliable reviews to save us the time and/or money investment. If I read any good ones soon, I will let you know. Are you only interested in the Tudor period, or do you like others?

message 2: by David (new)

David Hirning Paul, will you quit pulling your punches and tell us how you really feel about this book? :-)

Paula I am extremely interested in the Tudor period so most of my historical fiction tends to be from that time. I also really like HF from ancient Egypt and the middle medieval period (roughly 1100-1300ish). I've tried to get into other periods, but nothing has really gripped me like Tudor, ancient Egypt, and other medieval European HF. What about you, Sarah?

Paula David wrote: "Paula, will you quit pulling your punches and tell us how you really feel about this book? :-)"

:) I know - a bit blunt. I always worry when I'm honest about disliking a book that it will offend someone who loved the book, but as the criticism is to the book, not the readers, and the reviews are more for me than anyone else, I hope it's ok!

message 5: by David (new)

David Hirning No, I love the honesty! Who wants to read reviews that are all raves... not every one is a winner!