MissAnnThrope's Reviews > The Conscious Cook: Delicious Meatless Recipes That Will Change the Way You Eat

The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen

Aug 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010, food, library-book, vegan

The Conscious Cook is a gorgeous book with mouth-watering pictures accompanying nearly every recipe. I love the blending of different flavors from around the world, especially the Japanese and French combination.

I think this is a great book for those transitioning into the vegan lifestyle because the meals are flavorful and hearty. The richness of the recipes will be enough to satisfy any vegan newbie. However, this book assumes the reader has advanced cooking knowledge, so this may not be beginner friendly. You're presumed to know how to "cut into brunoise" and chiffonade, so be sure to brush up on your knife skills.

If you have hours to devote to your meal preparations, then this would be a great book to add to your library. For every day cooking it is just too complicated and time consuming. The salad section is the simplest, and could be used in everyday meals. Also, Ronnen uses a few exotic ingredients that could be hard to find unless you do an online search for them. I think I would dig this book out for special occasions or for days I'm craving a hearty "meaty" meal.

There are quite a few recipes that use processed foods, such as fake meats, processed soy proteins, vegan mayo, and vegan margarine. I prefer to focus my nutrition on whole foods, so while these specific recipes look delicious, I doubt I will make them. Oddly, Tal Ronnen states in the introduction how his diet is based on unprocessed foods. Yet, he uses Gardein, Vegenaise, and Earth Balance in many of his recipes. Although, he does include such processed items, there are also a ton of other recipes that don't include these ingredients.

Sure, these recipes are complicated, but this book is innovative and takes vegan meals to an exciting new level. This book is for the true foodie, who just happens to be vegan. Due to time restrictions, I sadly will not get a chance to try these gourmet recipes too often. But I can guarantee that whenever I have a free weekend, I will be delving into this book to try out some of these recipes. I hope there will be more books from Ronnen in the future, preferably one that focuses on simpler, everyday meals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conscious Cook.