Laura's Reviews > Orange Is the New Black

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Aug 23, 2010

liked it

For the writing and the story, I would give this four stars.

My issue with the book is how easy she finds prison to be. There are many light-hearted stories about female camaraderie, how many books she read, and how she took up running and lost weight. What about atoning for her crimes and the harsh realities of life behind bars? One would think that reading this book would want you to NOT go to prison. Instead I read it and thought that if times were tough, getting sent to a minimum security facility doesn't sound all that bad.

That alone would not be enough to make me rate this 3 stars instead of 4. Within the book, there is a story about another inmate reporting to the press that this facility was like Club Med and the author is incensed by this. Yet the entire book reads like a Club Med experience, down to the pedicures and group meals and birthday celebrations.

This book could have been improved by following up with her fellow inmates afterward. Or talking more about the harder parts of prison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange Is the New Black.

Tracy I completely felt the EXACT same way about the follow up! This whole book she blathered on about how grateful she was for these women and then...."I went running into Larry's arms"...The end. What??

Wonderwoman I would say she explains it pretty well-or, rather, Pop does when she reminds the prisoners they don't know what "real" prison is like. I always thought it fitting her stay was in a place referred to as "Camp" since it was essentially set up just like one. She doesn't encounter "real" prison until the end of the book and I think she does a pretty good job detailing how the Cook County system treats its inmates and detainees worse than zoo animals.

Chris I hadn't even though about the connection between the prisoner who talked to the magazine and Piper herself... But you're definitely right!

message 5: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva This is funny because at times when I was listening to the book, I totally thought that there are times in my current life when I might want a few months "break" to live in Danbury.