Briana's Reviews > Jesus Wept: When Faith and Depression Meet

Jesus Wept by Barbara Cawthorne Crafton

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, religion, death-suicide-depression, covers-i-love, mental-health-psychology, self-help
Recommended to Briana by: the shelves of CWC
Recommended for: everyone.
Read from August 23, 2010 to January 09, 2011, read count: 1

Overall I gave this book a four star rating because it was both informational and entertaining. The word entertaining here means that I was able to understand the author and relate to her struggles. Practically everything she talked about, I understood on a personal level. Several times I thought to myself, "Wow! I'm not the only one. Thank God someone else has felt that way". She also included stories from all kinds of people who have struggled with depression which I found to be helpful as well.

Why I considered giving this book a three star rating:
1) When I first saw the book I thought, "Finally! Someone has done some serious research on Jesus and is going to go into great detail about how he struggled in life and at one point struggled with depression". After all, the title is "Jesus Wept". MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT! She does not discuss Jesus at all. I mean, God is thrown in there in some ways; but there is no major discussion overall as to what is role is in a depressed persons life. She does give a good suggestion for those who struggle with praying to a God they just feel they can't talk to. I believe it was called centered prayer which I found to be helpful.

2) I expected this to be a self-help book in some kind of way, but it really wasn't. It had more of a biography feel, mostly. So, if you are looking for some life changing book...this is not it. I was hoping to get more from it than I did, but it was well worth reading nonetheless.

And finally, I believe this is the longest review I have ever written! Woo hoo!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Wept.

01/11/2011 page 150

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Briana Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
“Chronic fear is not about the lack of information: it comes from within. The same is true of chronic sorrow: it does no good to point out to the sufferer that she is really blessed in many ways, that things really aren't so bad, that many other people have it much worse, even if all those things are true. Depression comes from within, not from outside of us.”

“It's one thing to acknowledge that we learn from suffering, quite another to believe that God sends it for that reason.”

“Suicide is not painless, not for anybody. No, God won't send you to hell for it—there's more than enough hell to go around, right here on earth.”