Carla *Jen7waters*'s Reviews > The Summer of Shambles

May 18, 14

bookshelves: hilarious, read-in-2010, fairytale-ish, young-adult
Read in October, 2010

**english review**

Oh this book…SO. MUCH. FUN.

Really it is. I pretty much laughed my way through it, only pausing for a brief period of time almost at the end when it looked like a line of people had formed itself to slap Ondine straight in the face – not cool, you bastards. I laughed so hard with this book that the laughing itself was the reason for me not to finish it in the same night I started reading it, because it was the middle of the night, the house was so quiet, and everyone was clearly asleep, and then there was me, laughing out loud like a crazy person. I was positive that if I didn’t put the book down, I was going to awake someone up.

And why is this book so hilarious, you ask? Well, it is the tale of a spitfire teenage girl, a Scottish ferret-boy, and of a normal (meaning: a lovely, crazy and sometimes embarrassing) family, so of course it is hilarious. Plus, they all live in Brugel. A fictitious European country that never once won the Eurovision Song Contest and always gives 12 points to Slovakia. (Hang in there people of Brugel, my country has never won it either, but our turn will come!) And if this story takes place in the contemporary era, one barely notices because Brugel is stuck in time. Proof number one: there’s no internet, which gives the story yet more of that fairy tale tone I appreciate so much.

Please note that this is one of those lighthearted, will-make-you-feel-warm-and-fuzzy, to-read-in-a-couple-of-hours book, which was just what I needed when I picked it up. Ebony has one of the most amusing, clever, altogether entertaining voices I’ve ever came across.

Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of Shambles.