Tara's Reviews > A Red-Tainted Silence

A Red-Tainted Silence by Carolyn  Gray

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: m-m, read-in-2010, musicians-rockstars, bom-mm
Read from August 29 to September 01, 2010

I don't really know what to say about this book. It's definitely a 3.5 star book.

This story begins in a hospital- Brandon has just saved Nick and they are both recovering. They are also trying to heal their relationship after 2 years apart. The first 60% of the book is told as a first person narrative from Brandon's POV. Everything we learn is through his eyes. He begins a journal that takes us through the past 12 years of their relationship starting from the first time he sees Nick. After that the Part 2 of the book starts and the POv switches to of first person POV from Nick, although we still get some story's from Brandon's journal in his POV and some scenes from Brandon's POV which gets a little wonky. We start seeing things from Nick's perspective and he's suddenly not the bright shining star that he was in Brandon's eyes. We also start reading things in the journal that are far more revealing about Brandon that we had when he was narrating.

What I liked: I think the main characters were well done. I think the story was well crafted. I like the device of the main character writing his memoirs or a journal to help give us backstory- the writing in those sections really did feel like a person's journal. You really related and sympathize to Brandon. Some of the secondary characters are fantastic- Mutt & Jeff, who are security guards; Jenny the cousin that is supportive and determined without becoming that cliche' annoying pushy female in a m/m novel. His father, while I disliked him a great deal, his journey is interesting and I wish there was more mention of it towards the end.. And overall the reveals were good, if not a touch slow.

What I didn't like: I feel like after leading us through the story the ending sort of fizzled. I found some of the characters strange. Particularly Jon, the brother and Lee the bassist. They were almost too friendly with Nick and they made me suspicious or maybe they just made me feel creepy. I think they got played up too much. I think the way Jon treats his brother.. HIS BROTHER is almost unforgivable and I think he got off too easy. He behavior towards Nick is kind of uncomfortable as well. I mean Nick eben says something about it and it feel like there is a story there I'm missing. While the mother was lovely she also came off as a weak person as well. One other thing that made me crazy was an editing thing. There is a character named Seth Miller in this book. He's significant and he's mentioned in both parts. However in the second part all mentions of him are as Seth Green. (As in Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) The first time it annoyed me, by the 5th time I was swearing at the book and cursing the editor. I mean how do you miss that?!

This story is almost about how isolated one person can feel surrounded by people. In the end, I loved Jenny so much, because when some of Brandon's family rejected him or pushed him away or shut him out, she was there. When Nick grabbed the spotlight with both hands and focused it on himself, she ignored it remained with Brandon and I wish there was more mention of her as well. At the end, I'm not sure how much anyone except Brandon has changed. For some that's great (Jenny) and for others, I'm not so sure. I think that also helped the ending to fall flat. Not bad, but not great.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red-Tainted Silence.

08/30/2010
50.0% "Wow. long book packed with a lot of stuff..."
08/31/2010 page 761
100% "(My version has 1097 pages). I just finished part 1. I hope the second part moves a little faster." 11 comments
08/31/2010 page 821
100% "(out of 1097 pages) SO really, Seth Green is suddenly in the story? That's a big typo! How did nobody ever catch that?" 4 comments